Thursday, April 8, 2010

Re: Schedule design question

Dear Ruth,=20

When I arrived at Viewpoint 18 years ago, we had 3 minute passing times!=
That was a bit too short. We use 5 minutes now, and that works well. =
We have art classes a long ways from the Upper School, and kids are a min=
ute or two late, and we accept that. We don't accept 5 minutes late! We=
don't have bells, either. We also ran on the old "factory" schedule of=
8, 45 minute periods per day. Now we run on a rotating 6-day plan, and=
each class gets one double (90) minute period and 3 either 45 or 50 minut=
e periods spread over the 6 days. It works for us, but when I retire this=
summer, I'm sure someone will take aim at it. But I don't think the facu=
lty will want to give up either rotation or double blocks! =20

No matter how many passing minutes you give, changing classes takes more=
than 5 minutes -- or 10. There are a couple minutes lost at the end of=
the 1st class, and a couple of "settling down" minutes at the beginning=
of the next class. Go with the 5 minute passing and carve off 20 minutes=
in the morning -- or add that 20 minutes to classes and make them 50 minu=
tes! =20

All best,=20
Margaret Bowles
Assoc. Head for Academic Affairs