Friday, December 18, 2009

A solution for headphones/lice that works

We devised a system that works.
Each child has their own set of headphones that are stored in a
plastic zip lock bag in a "class" crate in our lab.
The headphones are less thatn $5 each, the plastic zip lock bag is
cheap and the crates are from Target for less than $5 each.
When the kids come in, they get the crate and pass out the headphones.
It goes amazingly fast and there is no more concern about the headphones/lice.

Susan Ferris
The Pingry School

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Scott Wickham <scottus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Get each child their own headphone they can bring with them or leave
> in a plastic bag in the lab.
>
> its worth the $5 to parents to not have to worry about it. And would
> probably cost less in teacher
> time and cleaning solution (I am not sure that water would kill a louse).
>
> http://www.buyextras.com/lihe.html
>
> http://www.buyextras.com/chhe.html
>

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Jennifer Howland <jenny@kdbs.org> wrote:
>> We have attached headphones on the computers in the lab. We have had
>> several cases of lice. The headphones are made of naugahyde plastic on the
>> outside with foam on the inside. I have been asked to wipe them down with
>> water between each use. Does anyone have experience with this?
>>
>> If I were a louse I would find a better place to deplane than plastic
>> headphones. My understanding that given 72 hrs the nits and lice die so
>> over the weekend we start fresh.
>>
>> Any advice would be great. I want to stay away from chemical wipes.
>>
>> Jenny Howland
>> Lower School Technology Teacher
>> Katherine Delmar Burke School
>> 7070 California Street
>> San Francisco, CA 94121
>> 415 751 0177 X326
>>
>> --

> --
> Scott Wickham
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Susan Ferris Rights
susanferris123@gmail.com