Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Re: Schools doing best tech integration ever

Joel,

Thanks so much for bringing these two threads together. I have a question
for you that goes back to your first post in this thread. You finished that
post with this great sentence.

I could certainly infer that these projects have improved teaching and
> learning or they would not be mentioned, but it would be fascinating to hear
> how that improvement has occurred.

This begs the question of how do you define improvement? What are the
measures?

By the way, I'm not so much calling for an effort to rebuild schools from
scratch but rather to rethink the existing designs. When Charles Eliot
redesigned Harvard to create the modern university he built on what was
already there.

This 2004 article in the Times referenced below continues to have a lot of
relevance to this discussion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/02/business/new-economy-researchers-seem-confident-that-technology-has-made-american-workers.html

I'm interested in working with others to reimagine the 'organizational
capital' of schools.

Fred

--
Fred Bartels