Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Re: ISED/Internet Safety Speaker

I have to agree that working from within can be very powerful. I have prese=
nted to our parent and student body many times on Internet Safety. One of t=
he best things I have done to prepare for this was to engage in an in-house=
study of Internet habits of our students. From this, the presentation beca=
me personal and tailored to the community needs. Findings about how our stu=
dents were using social networks, their online behaviors and the way they m=
ade choices (images, reported ages, online friends etc.) were specific to o=
ur community. If done well and responsibly, this can be very powerful to re=
aching students and parents. It should not be as much about fear as it is a=
bout education. These are behavioral issues and should be addressed as such=
. Yes, we have had outside speakers as well but the conversation is generic=
and often based in fear. By looking at the behaviors of your specific scho=
ol, you can directly address the issues important to your community.

Chris Bigenho
Director of Educational Technology
Greenhill School
4141 Spring Valley Road