Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Re: ISED/Internet Safety Speaker

I tend to agree with Jeff about having an in-house tailored training is
probably the best course. However, I will say that we had an outside
speaker come to school to talk about cyber-bullying - Elizabeth K.
Englander, Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Aggression Reduction Center - who
brought with her the bigger world view as well as some great research of
what is really happening in other schools. Much of the research and data is
collected from college freshmen and so the data may be more pertinent to
high school age students. It was data I may not have found on my own -
although much is available through their website. I would advocate a hybrid
approach that involves outside information and perhaps a speaker that speaks
to *your* school - not to some generic audience. This approach would
clearly include the main presenters on this topic working with the speaker
to make the talk more meaningful.
My $0.02,
Ann Hamel
The Fay School