Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Re: ISED/Internet Safety Speaker

Dear Colleagues,

I am glad this discussion is getting to what can be done in house and maybe via a hybrid. Would like to second Deirdre's posting below if there is to be an outside speaker; Marje works with Doug Fodeman.

At schools where I worked and through other events, I've been to the FBI agent/local law enforcement presentation, as well as the very expensive lawyer from the outside event. The kids were either scared/horrified or bored. Some teachers were ready to "crack down" and more of them came to the tech dept. after with requests that were about filtering, blocking, etc. These non-educator presenters did not know how to reach the kids, didn't know our school, and didn't understand the idea of balance, although the highpowered lawyer charged a great deal of money.

Best regards,
Pamela
Pamela Livingston
http://www.1-to-1learning.blogspot.com
Author of "1-to-1 Learning: Laptop Programs That Work"
Twitter: plivings
cell: 973-476-4819