Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Re: a question about posting your students' grades on line

1. No, just term end, exams, and final course grades.
2. 9 -12
3. Great -- This and their daily schedule gives the student portal some mea=
t and incentive for them to go in
4. Parents also see grades online through their portal.
5. Parents expect information faster than ever -- we can thank the commerci=
al world of online accounts. Not to do so is really not a choice.
6. We want our parents to be involved and informed. We are committed to st=
op sending things via the US Postal system.

Sincerely,

Andrew J. Speyer

Director of Information Technology Services
Choate Rosemary Hall
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492

[voice] 203.697.2105
[help desk] 203.697.2572
[fax] 203.697.2596

On Nov 23, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Kris Schulte wrote:

> Do any of your schools post your students grades on line? If so, I was wo=
ndering if you could give me some info about the following:
>=20
> 1. Do you post every grade (for each test, quiz, etc) or just cumulative =
grades at certain points in the term (i.e. mid term or end of term)?
> 2. What grade levels do you do post (i.e grades 9-12, K-12, etc)?
> 3. What has been the impact on your students?
> 4. What has been the impact on how the parents relate to their kids with =
all this information?
> 5. How has it impacted parent-school and parent-teacher relationships and=
communication?
> 6. What philosophical issues has this raised and how have you dealt with =
these? (I am thinking about the issue of helicopter parents, fostering stud=
ent independence, changing the balance between grades and learning, impact =
on motivation, and many others)
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Kris Schulte
> Dean of Faculty
> Stuart Country Day School
> 1200 Stuart Road, Princeton, NJ 08540
> 609-921-2330
> fax 609-497-0784
> kschulte@stuartschool.org
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.