Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Re: ISED/Internet Safety Speaker

Thank you!=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Lucy Gray [mailto:elemenous@gmail.com]=20
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:23 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: ISED/Internet Safety Speaker

Joe -

Don Buckley is their tech director and I've found him to be very
generous with his time and knowledge. He knows I've been singing his
praises here:
dbuckley@theschool.columbia.edu.

Lucy

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Joe Frost
<Joe.Frost@phoenixchristian.org>wrote:

> Lucy,
>
> Do you - or anyone for that matter - have a contact at Columbia.
>
> Your brief description of their "initiatives" also defines what I've=20
> been working on for the past few years and I may be able to contribute

> / learn something.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

let's also teach things in context.
> [...]

> tools appropriately within an academic context.
>
> On a related note, last summer I started working on a project with a=20
> few others to encourage educators to think about student personal=20
> learning networks. We strongly felt that there were certain elements=20
> that should be introduced to students at various points in their
academic careers.
> We haven't done much since with this space, but you may find some=20
> material in here that's helpful: http://studentpln.ning.com/.=20
> Hopefully, we'll grow it when we find more time.
>
> Also, this is a book that I used when I was in the classroom. I=20
> thought it was very useful, but I think it's a bit out of date. It=20
> might make a good resource is anyone is thinking about how to=20
> incorporate internet safety into their school's curricula:
> http://www.amazon.com/Internet-Computer-Ethics-Kids-Teachers/dp/096287
> 00
> 56/ref=3Dsr_1_6?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1260978372&sr=3D8-6
>

> Lucy Gray
>

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Joe Frost
> <Joe.Frost@phoenixchristian.org>wrote:
>
> > Okay, so you've done the presentation and everyone has heard the=20
> > Internet Safety pitch.
> >
> > What then?
> >
> > I'm always amazed that when it comes to Internet Safety many simply=20
> > want to Lecture on the topic and think the issue is addressed.
> >
> > Please, if we wouldn't teach science without the lab, or literature=20
> > without the novel, why are we attempting to "teach" Internet Safety=20
> > without the Internet?
> >
> > If we really want to address the issue, I am an award winning=20
> > teacher and fortune 500 tech and can show you a resource I built=20
> > that you can use not only to teach Internet Safety, but do it using=20
> > 21st Century Skills so it impacts educational technology across the=20
> > curriculum, across the grade levels.
> >
> > We need to teach K-8 Students Internet Safety in a safe & private=20
> > environment, so in High School we can provide more, age appropriate,

> > public resources.
> >
> > Regards,
> > *******
> >
> > Joe Frost
> > Director of Technology
> > Department Chair Technology
> > Phoenix Christian Unified Schools
> > 1751 W. Indian School Road
> > 602-265-4707 ext. 273
> >
> > [ For info on ISED-L see
> > https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874]
> > Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,=20
> > attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> > RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
> >

> [ For info on ISED-L see
> https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ] Submissions to=20
> ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=20
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see=20
> https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,=20

are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial,
share-alike license.