Monday, June 22, 2009

Re: Student Computers on LCD Projector

I've had success using Apple Remote Desktop for viewing the students' =
computers while having my laptop hooked up to the multimedia projector. =
My laptop is wireless with the Apple Extreme Airport, but the lab =
computers are hardwired. The computers are mostly e-Macs running OS =
10.4, with five iMacs running OS 10.5. The only problem I've had is =
with viewing Keynote presentations from the e-Macs with Remote Desktop. =
Remote Desktop will control the Keynote presentation on the students' =
computers, but the images won't show up on my laptop and the projector. =
My Apple rep said that I needed more RAM in the older computers, so I'll =
add that to the computers before school starts. You might want to =
discuss your particular situation with your Apple rep. They are always =
wonderful about helping teachers solve problems. By the way, Apple =
Remote Desktop is very easy to set up and use. I love being able to =
send Word documents with web links to all of the lab computers with one =
click. I can also watch what the students are doing, lock down one or =
any number of computers, take control of the students' computers, and =
show what is on my laptop to all of the students on their computers at =
the same time. I can sit at my desk in the afternoons and do the =
software updates for all of the computers, even Apple computers in other =
classrooms, from my laptop. Great program!

Allison Garrett=20
Lower School Technology Coordinator
Intermediate History=20

Donoho School=20