Monday, June 22, 2009

Packetshapping

I am new to using anything that will let me manage my network bandwidth. =
We have two T1s coming in, but we still have major slowdowns, so I need =
something that will do the following;

Allow me to see what is taking the bandwidth (and who is doing it)

Be able to block sites by AD user or group as well as by Mac address. =
(We have about 90% PCs that all authenticate to the server, but we have =
about 10% Macs that are used primarily for video and do not =
authenticate. I would want to deal with these by Mac address.)

Be able to limit or increase bandwidth to certain users or buildings as =
needed

Ideally be able to change limits based on time of day (so I can relax =
limits for teachers before and after school hours)

What products are you using to do this?=20
Are they software based (run on your server)?
Do they have their own appliance to run from?

Anything else I should know, look for, avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L