Thursday, June 18, 2009

Re: email broadcasts to parent groups

Google distribution lists are not very user friendly yet, that's for sure.
It's our hope Google will improve that function soon but we have been
waiting since December, too. Our Google consultant, Matt Clark has
developed a little program to upload lists from a spreadsheet. He can be
reached matt@itstrue.ca. He is willing and able to work with schools. We
use him for any problems or Google questions we have - we find it's a faster
fix to go through him than Google in many cases.

Secondly, we use a school database called Achieve out of Dallas -
http://www.achieve-technology.com. They have a nice database, affordable,
and it has fully functioning email groups either through their new web
version or through Outlook with their server side software - and you can use
gmail through outlook, no problem. We are considering upgrading to their
web version but we are running server side.

Trenia

Trenia Sanford
Technology Director
Lowell Whiteman School