Friday, June 19, 2009

Re: Gradebook software

My teachers used Gradequick for years and most really liked it.
Blackbaud, our SIS stopped supporting the Gradequick to Blackbaud
interface once they developed FAWeb. We switched to FAWeb, and it is
unanimously hated by all teachers. It has limited features. You can't
see a full class on your screen (you have to scroll). It is browser
based, and only works about 90% of the time when using Firefox. (When
you call Blackbaud, that charges us over $20,000 a year for support,
they say they only support using FAWeb with Microsoft Internet Explorer,
so all my teachers at home with Macs are out of luck if there is a
Firefox issue.) When you update (and there seems to be a new "patch"
out almost daily), there can be disastrous results. For example, on
this last update, the final grade was not showing. I finally called
Blackbaud about three weeks later, and they said it was a known problem
with the current update. You just have to clear the cache in EE, then
again! Needless to say, I got to take two days, retyping every grade
the teachers had put in. Luckily, it had only been about three weeks of
grades.=20

Unless the ONLY choice you have is FAWeb, I would never recommend it to
anyone. There are so many better, less expensive options available
including GradeQuick and Easy Grade Pro.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School