Saturday, April 3, 2010

Re: Is a school's core curriculum like a music CD?

Joel,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. In trying to puzzle this out it is really
helpful to bat ideas around.

Here are some thoughts raised by your post.

What if Peter Stearn's lectures were available individually? What if you
could get just those lectures that you really want? What if most of the
lectures of teaching historians were available individually? Given this
scenario it would be possible to compile playlists of the best lectures
available on any given topic. It also might create a long tail phenomenon
that could provide a small but important market for the lectures of those
teachers who aren't rock stars?

Regarding the role of teachers/professors in this possible new pedagogical
world, I think Chris Lehmann of SLA provides part of the answer. When asked
what he teaches, Chris likes to say "I teach kids." Perhaps as our schools
become more project based and student centered more of us will answer the
question the same way. Another part of the answer may be related to the
expectations for teachers at High Tech High. The teachers there are expected
to actively pursue their academic areas of interests. They are expected to
be learners.

I just watched this video about High Tech High again. If you are short on
time just watch from the 12 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfP53Alnbhk

It doesn't seem like a model of being an educator that should be disturbing
to teachers.

Fred