Sunday, April 4, 2010

Re: Is a school's core curriculum like a music CD?

Pat,

What you have expressed so eloquently is where my thinking ended up, althou=
gh it wasn't anywhere close when I posted in response to Fred. I now know w=
hat the other 90% of the teachers will be doing, and their job seems fundam=
entally place-based to me. Steven Covey would likely ask whether empathic l=
istening can be practiced or taught over the web. I suspect not because of =
the kinesthetic and other sensory elements. On the other hand, what if virt=
ual meant more than a super-duper webcam and microphone? I'm not sure I'm r=
eady for a Star-Trek type transporter or holodeck, but what if a web confer=
ence could include olfactory, subtle emotional, and other gestures and cues=
in addition to visual and auditory? Or are there forms of communication th=
at occur between human beings that cannot be duplicated in bits? We didn't =
do so well with artificial intelligence. So, no question in my mind that co=
ntent can go anyplace, and we have the tools to make that content vibrant a=
nd relevant for our kids (see Concord Consortium's Deeply Digital Texts pro=
ject). As you point out, in Disruptive Education, from where does the human=
side of the curriculum deliver? Thanks for your post.

Joel

--=20
Joel Backon
Director of Academic Technology / History
Choate Rosemary Hall
333 Christian St.
Wallingford, CT 06492
203-697-2514

On Apr 4, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Bassett, Patrick wrote:

> It's interesting that even the radical notions of the web replacing plac=
e-based schooling default to a conversation about where students will acces=
s content, when content is only the raw material and means, not the essence=
of schooling, which for kids, especially, is largely a socializing and cul=
tivating process that must happen, at least partly, in the context of carin=
g and inspiring adults and pro-social peers, not to mention the place where=
students learn how to team and lead most conveniently, before they'll do t=
hat remotely in the future.
>=20
> Cheers.
>=20
> PFB
>=20
> Patrick F. Bassett, President
> N A T I O N A L A S S O C I A T I O N O F I N D E P E N D E N T S C H=
O O L S
> 1620 L St., NW, Washington, DC 20036
> 202.973.9710 (Office)
> 202.746.5444 (Cell)
> 202-247-9667 (Fax)
> bassett@nais.org www.nais.org
> www.twitter.com/PatBassett
> www.facebook.com/NAISnetwork
>=20
> This email is to be considered a confidential communication not to be for=
warded or shared unless otherwise explicitly noted.
>=20
l-the-web-kill-colleges.aspx

>=20
> The web has not been kind to institutions which supply authority-determin=
ed
> artificial collections of content. The music, newspaper and magazine
> industries are examples of what the web has done to enterprises engaging =
in
> this business model as it has opened up opportunities for users to make
> their own decisions about what content they want to engage with.
>=20
> Since schools supply authority-determined artificial collections of conte=
nt
> are we next in line for disruption as the web increasingly makes it possi=
ble
> for our users to pursue educational content independently of our strictur=
es?
> Or will our credentialing / gate keeping function continue to force our
> users to stay within the boundaries we impose?
>=20
> Fred
>=20
> --
> Fred Bartels
> Dir. of Info. Tech.
> Rye Country Day School
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.