Thursday, June 24, 2010

Re: Printing from Local and Network Logins

I assign fixed IP addresses to the printers and then add them as a local
printer on the computer. You have to do that using an admin account on the
workstation. After that, any users on that machine can use that printer
(unless you set security otherwise). This distributes printing load away
from a central server, so the computer doesn't need to be logged into the
domain to print to it. We're actually in temporary quarters this summer
during a renovation at our school. I plugged in two of these networked
printers and was able to print to them from our workstations with local
logins. You can contact me off-line if you want step-by-step instructions
for doing this in XP.

Dan Berger