Thursday, June 24, 2010

Re: Exchange 2007 - management/maintenance workload

Dan:

I have to say that Exchange 2007 is a huge step forward from earlier
versions of Exchange. To date, I have not seen any serious issues with the
platform across a number of different environments. However, you may want
to consider deploying Exchange 2010 if you don't already have Exchange 2007
up and running. There are a couple of technical advantages to 2010 but the
biggest impact will likely be felt on the user end. Outlook Web Access in
2010 is pretty slick and comes pretty darn close to being what users see in
Outlook. There are also some very nice features in both 2007 and 2010 when
it comes to mobile computing.

Having said all that, I am of the opinion that outsourcing email (where
feasible) is a fundamentally good idea. Messaging is such a mission
critical application that it is well suited to being hosted in the so-called
cloud (depending, of course, on how you define cloud). While it may not
take much to administer the system, it is still sitting in your environment
so you will always have storage, environmental and connectivity concerns.

I should add that virtualization is certainly the way to go. Both Exchange
2007 and 2010 run quite nicely in a VMWare environment (both ESXi and
full-blown ESX) and the server portability can be a real life-saver.

TJ

TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com