Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Re: "Mobile Computing?"

Hi,

Our model and direction....
- Laptops in the library. We have a few netbooks in the library so =
students can borrow them at anytime. One of the benefits of being a =
netbook is having the 6 hr battery life where as most typical notebooks =
last about 2-3 hours. A lot of times, all of the netbooks are being =
borrowed throughout the day.
- Laptop cart for each dept. While we have increased the number of =
laptop carts (8) over the past several years, the nature of the computer =
lab has changed (we have 3). Students are now using our lab for =
homework and socializing during breaks.
-- 2nd grade (netbooks using Ubuntu Linux)
-- 3rd/4th grade (Macbooks)
-- English / History (Macbooks)
-- Math (Macbooks)
-- Science (Macbooks)
-- 5th Grade (iPads) *new*
-- 6th grade (Macbooks)
-- World Languages (Macbooks)

Reasons why we don't have Netbooks throughout the school:
- Our kids can do create podcasts, videos, and other CPU intensive =
projects. We have seen are depts start to expand the creativity of the =
students by allowing them to use multimedia for their classwork.

Why I love Netbooks:
- Small keyboard are great for small children
- Large keyboards are available if you pick the right netbook model
- Inexpensive
- Long battery life (6 cell battery =3D 9+ hours)

About the 2nd grade netbooks:
- Learning how to type
- Linux: Trouble free throughout the year
- I had to manually update printers, but that was because I didn't get =
"bcfg2" setup to push the configurations
- Linux: Don't need to worry about MS Office licenses, Antivirus =
licenses, or students infecting computers with viruses

It looks like you are going the way of the laptop cart model if you want =
to provide laptops to 1/3 of your population. The biggest problem you =
will probably find is that everyone wants to use the cart at the same =
time. Hence, we went with a cart per dept.

I hope this information helps you out.

Brian Lee