Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Re: Anyone using live@edu instead of Google Apps?

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both. We used Google
Apps a lot this year in our middle school, and we are going to add
live@edu next year.

Some of the cool things about live@edu is that you can work locally on
Office apps and then save to their site. Some disadvantages are that it
is not as user friendly with older versions of Office or Macs, Outlook
email is not able to be managed by teachers (teachers can set up the
student accounts and delete / inactivate them, but they can't see what
is happening in them like you can with something like gaggle.net), and
their file saving system is not yet moved up to sharepoint, so there is
no management available (it is up to the individual student to manage
it). (Note: They are adding sharepoint soon, and that will have a
management piece to it.)

I like Google apps more for collaboration. We also use Nings a lot for
posting files.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills Schol