Sunday, June 27, 2010

Re: off site backup - adding server farm management

Dear ISED-L colleagues,

I am also interested in your off site backup solutions so hoping to
jump onto Carl's request.

Additionally, this week we are having a new virtualization server
installed with the goal of virtualizing our main admin server (with a
number of legacy apps) and adding other virtual servers down the
road. We are facing a strategic decision on how to take our aging
servers and network at four schools forward.

One path may be, rather than hire a full time network manager,
outsource the servers, maintenance, and backup of them. It will take
time for this to happen but I am wondering about the cost and other
factors of having our networks housed offsite and having that offsite
organization be responsible for updates, maintenance, backup,
monitoring, etc.

Has anyone gone this direction?

Thanks,
Pamela
Pamela Livingston
Director of Information Technology
TEAM Charter Schools
Newark, NJ
livingstonp@mac.com
Author of "1-to-1 Learning: Laptop Programs That Work"
Blog: http://1-to-1learning.blogspot.com
Twitter: plivings
973-476-4819