Monday, April 5, 2010

Re: Two regular monitors vs. one wide

Thank you Steven. This is very helpful.

-----Original Message-----
>From: "Dickenson, Steven" <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
>Sent: Apr 5, 2010 8:52 AM
>To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: Re: Two regular monitors vs. one wide
>
>I had dual 17" monitors, then went with a single 24" widescreen several years ago. I quickly went back to dual monitors. Managing windows across multiple monitors is much simpler than managing windows on a single wide monitor. I run with 3 19" monitors in the office (2 for my main workstation, 1 for a secondary, using Synergy+) and 2 20" widescreen monitors at home. I prefer the 19" 4:3 monitors at work over the 20" 16:10 monitors at home - the wider screens start to become an ergonomic problem as your head has to shift more frequently to see items at the far end of the monitors. I tried a dual 22" widescreen set up at home first, and quickly returned them for the dual 20". I just wish good 4:3 monitors were available for under $200 a pop.
>
>S
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: A forum for independent school educators [mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of James Lerman
>Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:54 AM
>To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: Two regular monitors vs. one wide
>
>Hi everyone,
>I'm contemplating the move from a single monitor to more screen real estate. Basically, I want a bigger screen than my 19-inch standard unit because I want to be able to view two documents side-by-side and not go blind doing so. I want bigger images with good clarity. I'm trying to decide between getting two 19-inch monitors or one 24-inch widescreen.
>I realize the 2x19s give more overall real estate, but they also take up a lot more room on the desk. I don't watch a lot of or create much video or do any gaming. Do do some limited graphics work. This is basically for creating documents, web browsing, and communicating.
>Those of you who have a 24" widescreen (not 23") unit, can you comfortably get two word documents side-by-side on it?
>Any brand or model recommendations to either definitely check out or stay away from? Don't have to go for the cheapest, but would like to stay under $500-600.
>Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
>Jim Lerman
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L