Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Re: Sibelius Student Licensing

I have been slowly introducing open source alternative solutions into our
school. With the limited budget we work with, I find that the open source
alternatives gives the students the opportunity to perform the same type of
work without paying for the extra expense.

Music Notation Alternatives:
http://musicnotation.org/software/strategy.html

I'm sure that the students won't mind not paying a lot of money for software
they need to use.

We are implementing the same strategy for our math dept. We can not afford
to purchase 20+ licenses of Mathematica, so I gave the teachers several
alternatives to choose from. So far, I will be installing GNUPLOT
(http://www.gnuplot.info) in our laptops. If students need to use the
software at home, they can download it and use it there, too. Otherwise,
students may look to software piracy to fulfill their educational needs.

Not everything needs to be open source, though. Either very affordable or
free.

Brian Lee
Manlius Pebble Hill School