Thursday, April 3, 2008

Re: Electronic books

We have an extensive audio-book collection and are also replacing the more critical ones with CD versions. I bought a number of Playaways, easily available thru Follett (some are on Amazon), but they do not fly off the shelves for us. Most of our audio-book traffic is from families going on vacations in a car. THose with older cars are still using the cassettes and those with newer cars are taking the CDs. THe Playaways can be plugged into your car radio if youhave that set-up with the little I-pod-like connection in front, but most do not have them yet. I will continue to collect the CD-version for right now, and they are a few dollars cheaper than the Playaways. Personally, I was surprised and disappointed that our Playaways have not done better. Perhaps it is because we are a middle-upper school library.
Judith Lewis from Moses Brown School in Providence, RI