Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Re: Electronic books

I agree with Kurt that you might want to look into copyright issues. I'm not
an authority on that either, and the law seems to be a bit murky on these
matters. I'm pretty sure you will not legally be able to republish
copyrighted material in the form of a podcast, but check with a lawyer.

A couple of ideas come to mind..... I've heard of libraries buying several
iPod shuffles, loading them with purchased content from the iTunes store,
and letting patrons check the iPods out. Also, if you use iTunes software,
you can make shared playlists of audio material and people can listen to
these shared lists over a network. It's not possible to download the audio
files in these playlists, but others can listen to the files if you have
enabled sharing in your iTunes preferences. Finally, my third grade daughter
loves to listen to audio books, so we purchase them from iTunes, put them on
an iPod Nano, and play them at bedtime on a boombox which the iPod fits
into. FYI, if you do buy audiobooks through iTunes, I believe (but am not
positive), that the copyright is a bit different. You can burn the purchased
audio files to a max of 7 CDs and load them on multiple iPods.

Keep in mind, too, you can import your CDs into the iTunes software. You
don't have to use the iTunes software just for purchasing audio files from
the iTunes store. The software itself basically serves as an organizer for
your digital content, both on the Mac and PC platforms.

Finally, and this is off on a bit of a tangent, there's lots of free digital
content in the form of podcasts through iTunes. I highly recommend Lit To Go
through the University of South Florida, for instance:
http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/

Hope this helps,

Lucy Gray
University of Chicago Charter Schools

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Laurie Yalem <lyalem@churchillstl.org>
wrote:

> Our school library is a bit different than most. Due to our population
> (all LD students) we offer our students a "reading library". We have many
> fiction books, as all students are required to do nightly reading, and
> about 1200 books on tape. Over the course of the last couple of years we
> are trying to move away from books on audio tape to books on CD, since
> nobody has a cassette player anymore! We have been converting the
> cassette tapes to CDs. Of course now we are starting to think about how
> we can offer these books to our students that have iPods, which if it's
> anything like your school, it's most of the kids! I don't know if we
> should be converting these CDs to digital audio and putting them on some
> kind of server for them to download, or if we should then podcast them
> some way. The idea is for kids to be able to listen and read along at
> home. I'm sure CD players will go the way of cassette players soon and we
> want to be prepared. I would welcome any thoughts, suggestions or
> experiences with this issue. Thanks.
>
> :) Laurie
>
> Laurie Yalem
> Technology Coordinator
> Churchill Center & School for Learning Disabilities
> 1021 Municipal Center Dr.
> Town & Country, MO 63131
> 314-997-4343
> lyalem@churchillstl.org