Thursday, April 10, 2008

Re: School AUPs and social networking

HI Barbara. Actually, our new policy as of last year covers only some of
what you mention below, but it may be of help anyway: I'm including our cell
phone policy because the bottom paragraph mentions audio and video.
Alecia
__________________________
Cell Phone Use
General Policy: Cell phone use is not permitted in the school building
before or during the academic day. Cell phones should be turned off and kept
in a locker during this time. After school, beginning at 3:30pm, students
should not use cell phones until they have left the building, and then only
with permission from a teacher or administrator. Any use of a cell phone
between the hours of 8:00am to 3:30pm will result in the immediate
confiscation of the cell phone. The student's parent must retrieve the cell
phone from the Director of Upper School.

Aftercare is considered a part of the academic day, and cell phone use is
restricted, except with permission of a teacher or the director. At no time
are any of the following acceptable without teacher permission: photographs,
video or audio taken anywhere on campus, or text messaging during school
hours.

Social Networking Sites and Instant Messenger
St. John's Episcopal School blocks on-campus access to most social
networking sites including MySpace, Facebook, Club Penguin, and Webkinz. The
reasons why we choose to block are many, but the largest includes bandwidth
issues. Intelligent discussions about using these sites safely at home occur
in technology classes in the lower school, and we are currently creating a
curriculum for reinforcing these lessons in middle school.

We also occasionally offer Parent Education classes both in the morning and
evenings to help parents understand what kinds of dangers and benefits these
types of sites offer. We strongly encourage parents to have frequent, open
discussions with their children about their online activities. Although
MySpace and the like are all public sites, students sometimes think that
adults can't see what they post. Inappropriate postings may lead to damaged
reputations and possible disciplinary action at school if the content is
libelous. Teens should not post photos or information they would not want
adults to see.

Alecia Berman-Dry, Technology Coordinator
St. John's Episcopal School
Olney, MD
www.stjes.com
My blog: http://ed-tech-axis.blogspot.com/