Thursday, April 10, 2008

Re: Filemaker help

Hi Laurie,

I'm only an aspiring guru, but I've been an FM developer in my spare time
for a number of years, so I'll offer my 2 cents:

Interface design in FileMaker is always a tricky thing, since the nature of
FM systems is that you're often "repairing the plane while flying it" (I
like to think of it as "improving the plane", but I digress). Still,
arriving at an intuitive, flexible interface can save you and your users a
lot of frustration, so it's worth investing the time.

For clean buttons and great interface ideas, you might look at Matt
Petrowsky's scriptology theme library
(http://www.scriptology.com/theme-library) and you may want to consider
subscribing to his video series (www.filemakermagazine.com), which
demonstrates a lot of great technique. Both resources have been invaluable
to me in the past.

Another much-touted resource would be Albert Harum-Alvarez' design master
class, which I've never attended but hope to in the near future. You can
learn about it here: http://www.smallco.net/

Best of luck in your project,

-Peter Vinogradov
Poughkeepsie Day School

Good luck on your project!

-Peter Vinogradov.

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:12:22 -0500, Laurie Yalem <lyalem@churchillstl.org> wrote:

>I'm not a developer or a guru, but I have made several databases for my
>school and now I'd like to roll them into one and call it a home-grown
>Student Information System. Instead of my usual boring buttons, I'd like
>to branch out a bit. Would anyone be willing to send me a screen shot of
>a not too complex layout that might work? I want to give access to about
>10 different DB. Thanks.
>
>:) Laurie
>
>Laurie Yalem
>Technology Coordinator
>Churchill Center & School for Learning Disabilities
>1021 Municipal Center Dr.
>Town & Country, MO 63131
>314-997-4343
>lyalem@churchillstl.org
>www.churchillstl.org
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
non-commercial, share-alike license.