Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Re: Electronic books (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

I was hoping a librarian would chime in with some specific guidance but
you may want to spend some time with the TEACH Act. =20

http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/intellectualProperty/teachact.htm

The regulations are very nuanced and really require some reading
(because fair use arguments enter as well), but in this case if the
cassette books you are copying are offered for sale as CDs or MP3s
WITHOUT copy protection (often referred to as DRM) it is unlikely that
you are allowed to make your own digitized copies in any format unless
the purchase agreement or licensing on the audio cassette allows for it
or another arrangement has been made with the copyright holder. =20

In the one instance when I did this we felt it safest to have a physical
CD audio book purchased for each student in the class (just as we would
have with a physical book). We placed the books (each chapter with its
own MP3) on a file server restricted to students in that class (again to
comply with our understanding of the copy right issues). The students
could download them to their laptop and then sync them with the device
of their choosing or play them directly from the laptop. This was for
6th grade students.

_Jason
___________________________________

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net
jason.p.johnson2@us.army.mil=20
Confidentiality Notice

This document may contain information covered under the Privacy Act, 5
USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act (PL 104-191) and it's various implementing regulations and must be
protected in accordance with those provisions. Healthcare information is
personal and sensitive and must be treated accordingly. If this
correspondence contains healthcare information it is being provided to
you after appropriate authorization from the patient or under
circumstances that don't require patient authorization. You, the
recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and
confidential manner. Redisclosure without additional patient consent or
as permitted by law is prohibited. Unauthorized redisclosure, or failure
to maintain confidentiality subjects you to application of appropriate
sanction. If you have received this correspondence in error, please
notify the sender and once and destroy any copies you have made.