Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cell phone base antenna on campus

Hello,

We're considering a proposal from Sprint and ATT to install a base antenna
on our School campus. Both providers are offering substantial
compensation to my School if we allow them to install an antenna and we
would get significantly better mobile phone coverage within our buildings.
The antennas would be well concealed and far out of reach.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar proposal and if so, what
was your decision-making process?
Did you conduct an independent study or obtain studies regarding potential
health risks?
The potential health risks are the most significant factor for us at this
point and I thought I would just check with my ISED colleagues to see if
perhaps you have already been down this path and could offer some advice.
I know there are studies available via the Web, but I was hoping that
maybe another school conducted their own study you might share that report
with me and I could use it to better support our decision here.
Both vendors, of course, tell me there are no "significant" health risks
for our proposed installation.


Thanks,
Dave Candelario
Director of Technology
314-995-7478


[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L