Monday, March 22, 2010

Re: criteria for adding tech support

I am not sure if this is what you want to hear, but we have actually
found less need for tech support per machine, so as we grow it has
worked to stay the same size.

This is because my teachers get more and more tech savvy each year.
They need the tech team's support less and less in the classroom. (Just
three years ago, I would be in the classroom 90% of the time technology
was used. Now, laptops are used daily in 3rd - 8th grades and I am in
the classroom only about 30% of the time I was three years ago.)

In addition, many of my teachers are willing to do basic
troubleshooting. (Not all, but the list grows a little each year.)
Most teachers will replace their own ink, fix a simple jam, fix a
network error (checking wireless switch, turning wireless off and on),
and find lost files (their own and more commonly the student's files).

The summer is incredibly busy with imaging three times the number of
computers we had only three years ago, but this pushes me to find better
ways to imagine them that save time. =20

Since 90% of our computers are still under warranty, most of the repairs
I just call into Lenovo and get a part sent to us in about 48 hours. If
the repair is not a simple part swap, the laptop is sent in for repair.

Computers not under warranty, we are cautious about spending a lot of
time on. We do basic troubleshooting and repairs, but if it is an
indepth issue, we replace with a computer under warranty.=20

We have about 250 computers, 90% of them laptops with 80% PC and 20% Mac
and have 2.5 fte people on the tech team which includes both the techie
and ed tech side. (We also have a full time database administrator not
included in the 2.5 above. She does not do any tech support, but she is
amazing at dealing with all the Blackbaud database issues.)

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School