Monday, September 13, 2010

Re: Student database

At our school, the sensitivity of informal teacher notes on student concern=
requires a greater level of security than cloud systems provide. We set up =
simple discussion space on our own servers that includes a second level of
password security and limits the comments to teachers who have contact with
that student. One could use a number of technologies to provide such a
service, from file server to website software. When you host the system on
your own server, then you can configure features such as password expiratio=
once and be sure that it applies to all users.

Richard

On 9/12/10 3:00 PM, "staffee" <staffee@castilleja.org> wrote:

> I second Google Docs for this purpose. It is what we use. As with all sys=
tems,
> it is important that end users do not store browser passwords and use pas=
sword
> protected screensavers.
>=20
>=20
> Sent from my iPad
>=20
> On Sep 12, 2010, at 8:23 AM, "Constantine, Norman"
> <nconstantine@wakefieldschool.org> wrote:
>=20
>> I would think about looking at Google Docs. You could set up shares and =
or a
>> group. easy to do. Look into it.
>>=20
>> Norman
>>=20
>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Chris Weiss <chweiss@mindspring.com> wr=
ote:
>>=20
>>> We are looking for the best approach to tracking student information in
>>> regards to academic or social/emotional data and concerns. Currently, =
our
>>> system involves typed or handwritten notes that we share via email or s=
tore
>>> in notebooks. We'd like to ensure that this information remains
>>> confidential and that access is limited to those on the support team. =
We
>>> would also like to attach longer documents like psych-ed testing, email=
>>> from parents and teachers, and the like. Does anyone have any
>>> recommendations?
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Chris Weiss,
>>>=20
>>> Academic Dean
>>>=20
>>> Trinity Episcopal School
>>>=20
>>> Charlotte, NC 28202
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D12=
8874]
>>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attributio=
n,
>>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Norman Constantine
>> Director of Technology Integration
>> Wakefield School
>> The Plains, VA
>>=20
>> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128=
874 ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution=
,
>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
>=20