Thursday, September 23, 2010

Re: Students Can Help Cure Diseases While Playing A Video Game?

Fred:

You are very welcome! I was thinking the same thing. This would be
best in the hands of our science departments having a friendly
competition. Would think they would have more fun and would be able to
use it as a learning tool better than I would.

Jeff Ritter
Director of Technology
St. John's School
2401 Claremont Ln.
Houston, TX 77019
713-850-4020

On 9/22/2010 9:54 AM, Fred Bartels wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Thanks for sharing the Wired article. Since teams seem to be better than
> individuals at figuring out folding patterns it might be fun to try and get
> a friendly competition organized between teams from various independent
> schools. A great possible side effect would be getting the members of our
> science departments working across their disciplinary boundaries.
>
> Fred
>

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Jeff Ritter<jritter@sjs.org> wrote:
>
>> This is a great project. Here is an article from WIred a while back where
>> a boy and his family actually competed internationally. Pretty interesting
>> story, project, and results:
>>

>> http://www.wired.com/medtech/genetics/magazine/17-05/ff_protein?currentPage=all
>>
>> Jeff Ritter
>> Director of Technology
>> St. John's School
>> 2401 Claremont Ln.
>> Houston, TX 77019
>> 713-850-4020
>>

>> On 9/22/2010 7:12 AM, Fred Bartels wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently so. A crowd-sourced game-based effort to figure out how
>>> proteins
>>> fold. You should definitely have students in your school who are