Friday, September 17, 2010

Re: Rethinking Report Cards and Progress Reports

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense that progress reports would no longer be
needed when gradebooks are transparent.

We're moving to all electronic reporting this year (no printed reports), but
as we ponder opening up gradebooks too, we're discusing what makes the
report card different in light of anytime access to assessment results. At
the moment, we still see the need for a "global judgment of achievement" at
regular intervals, but it's interesting to think about what we want to
communicate at that time (we do standards-based reporting in MS). I was
curious if any other schools have started to re-evaluate the purpose,
format, timing of reporting student achievement beyond the traditional
report card.

Christina