Monday, September 13, 2010

Re: Student database

Does anyone else worry about posting information like this is such a
public forum? Yes, it is "password protected" but I've seen too many
passwords posted on bulletin boards and stuck to desk calendars to believ=
in password protection to a forum that is accessible from anywhere in the
world. This combined with users not understanding sharing permissions
well would make me very nervous about using a service like Google Docs fo=
anything so confidential. Finally, what of Google's policy for how they
are going to handle, store and track all this private data. What policie=
and protections do schools have in place when information stored in this
public entity is accessed and used inappropriately?

I would recommend a simple database solution. Something like what you
request could quickly be created in FileMaker by adapting some of their
template solutions.

Dave

David Baker
Associate Head