Friday, April 23, 2010

Re: Query - Parent/Teacher Conferences format

We do them differently by division:

K-5 held in late Oct and in March. At second one, students are there with
teachers and parents (unless they don't want to). Last 30 minutes each time.
I reaslly like the fact that this puts ownership on the students. Most (not
all, but those can request to meet without student) parents like it and the
teachers and kids love it. I wish our middle and upper schools would do
this!

6-12 once a year in late October. Parents are scheduled in 10 minute blocks.
It is incredibly crazy for teachers and parents since the 10 minutes goes
quickly.. but we have not figured out an alternate format. We use a great
program to schedule the conferences. Format is pretty traditional-- teacher
just presents how the student is doing.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Dean <only1djf@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a couple questions regarding the concept and practice of
> parent/teacher conferences in your schools:
> 1) Do you hold parent/teacher conference days/nights during the school
> year? How often?
> 2) Could you describe the format you currently use as well as the pros and
> cons of the actual event?
> Many thanks,
> Dean J. FustoHead of upper schoolAssistant head of
> schoolwww.bement.orgAuthor, The Next Best Thing To Being There
>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Kristina Schulte
Dean of Faculty