Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Re: Electronic textbooks

Just was reading this tonight:
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced their Algebra I textbook =
replacement app for iPad today. =20

"LONG BEACH, Calif.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Global education =
leader Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) today announced a year-long pilot =
of the first-ever full-curriculum Algebra app for the Apple iPad. The =
pilot also represents the launch of HMH Fuse=E2=84=A2, a new mode of =
curriculum delivery where interactive platforms and mobile devices bring =
learning to life for students by moving beyond the one-way experience of =
a print or digital textbook."

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20100908006805/en

They are currently in pilot mode with 400 students across four K12 =
districts here in California. The governor's office participated in the =
announcement and corresponding activities at Long Beach Unified School =
District.

HMH expects to ship this product in January 2011 and they have a preview =
up on their website:

http://hmheducation.com/fuse/algebra1/index.php
Sent from my iPad

On Sep 8, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Thomas Flanagan <TFlanagan@winsor.edu> =
wrote:

> What's happening with electronic textbooks for independent schools? =
When will we get there and how? All that students will need is a book =
reader and a computer, preferably one in the same. How can we plan for =
this inevitable future?
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]