Monday, January 3, 2011

Re: iPad Insurance / Warranty

Renee,

Got it. We self insure school owned machines... essentially our
financial aid fleet. Would be quite a bit trickier with parent owned
computers.

Fred

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Renee Ramig
<rramig@sevenhillsschool.org> wrote:
> I am probably going to ask parents to pay for warranties under our 1 to 1=
program. =A0If they choose not to, they pick up the cost to repair. =A0So,=
I was trying to find warranty / insurance options they could purchase.

> Also, the way our budgeting works, is it "clears out" each year. =A0So, I=
would have no way to keep a pool of money from one year to the next for re=
pairs.

> Thanks,
>
> Renee

extended warranties on the iPad. =A0The Applecare warranty is $99, only cov=
ers two years, and only covers mechanical / electrical issues not spills an=
d drops (which I anticipate would be much more likely).

>> Have any of you used Square Trade (http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad=
-landing?ccode=3Dbs_war_vc_090:homepageipad
)? =A0It is $180 for three years=
, but they offer 30% off in bulk so $126 for three years including accident=
al protection.

>> How about the Worth Ave Group insurance? =A0(http://www.worthavegroup.co=
m/ipad) =A0They are about $131 for three years and cover accidents, disaste=
rs, vandalism, as well as theft. =A0However, weirdly, it does not cover reg=
ular mechanical / electrical issues. =A0It also has a $50 deductible.

>> We are strongly considering implementing these in our K, 4 (classroom us=
e only) and 1-to-1 in our middle school (6th - 8th). =A0I am really hoping =
they will last three years, so I want to find some warranty to cover them f=
or three years.

>> Also, those of you using it one to one, how are you dealing with each st=
udent having their own iTunes account? =A0Do they pay for their own softwar=
e? =A0Are you using the licensing program and distributing codes? =A0I want=
teachers to be able to have the flexibility of having students install app=
s that they find throughout the year. =A0I want students to be able to sync=
at home, so they will need to have their own account with their own userna=
me and password.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Renee Ramig
>> Seven Hills School
>>
>> P.S. =A0I am working on a db of iPad apps. =A0I will share when complete=
d. =A0I will also post the survey results soon from those of you that poste=
d info on use of / planned use of iPads in your school.

>> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128=
874 ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution=
, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
>>

> --
> Fred Bartels
> Dir. of Info. Tech.
> Rye Country Day School
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.