Monday, January 3, 2011

Re: iPad Insurance / Warranty

Renee,

I recommend looking at studentinsurancepartners.com for additional insuranc=
e (ADP, Fire, Theft) for you iPads.=20

Jason Hyams
Director of Technology
St. Agnes Academy

Office:=A0=A0=A0 (713)219-5445=A0=20
Mobile:=A0 (713)703-5867
http://www.st-agnes.org/technology

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators [mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.=
EDU] On Behalf Of Renee Ramig
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 3:05 PM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: iPad Insurance / Warranty

I was wondering what other schools are using / thinking about using for ext=
ended warranties on the iPad. The Applecare warranty is $99, only covers t=
wo years, and only covers mechanical / electrical issues not spills and dro=
ps (which I anticipate would be much more likely).

Have any of you used Square Trade (http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-la=
nding?ccode=3Dbs_war_vc_090:homepageipad
)? It is $180 for three years, but=
they offer 30% off in bulk so $126 for three years including accidental pr=
otection. =20

How about the Worth Ave Group insurance? (http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipa=
d) They are about $131 for three years and cover accidents, disasters, van=
dalism, as well as theft. However, weirdly, it does not cover regular mech=
anical / electrical issues. It also has a $50 deductible.

We are strongly considering implementing these in our K, 4 (classroom use o=
nly) and 1-to-1 in our middle school (6th - 8th). I am really hoping they =
will last three years, so I want to find some warranty to cover them for th=
ree years. =20

Also, those of you using it one to one, how are you dealing with each stude=
nt having their own iTunes account? Do they pay for their own software? A=
re you using the licensing program and distributing codes? I want teachers=
to be able to have the flexibility of having students install apps that th=
ey find throughout the year. I want students to be able to sync at home, s=
o they will need to have their own account with their own username and pass=
word. =20

Thanks,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

P.S. I am working on a db of iPad apps. I will share when completed. I w=
ill also post the survey results soon from those of you that posted info on=
use of / planned use of iPads in your school.

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
] Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution=
, non-commercial, share-alike license.