Thursday, January 24, 2008

Re: Looking for "great" school websites

www.norfolkacademy.org

www.gilman.edu

St. Christopher's School in Richmond

They all use Whipple Hill

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators on behalf of Barbara =
Cohen
Sent: Thu 1/24/2008 7:22 PM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Looking for "great" school websites
=20
Hi there,

I'm hoping that I can request a little bit of help from this awesome =
ISED
community -- I am attending a meeting tomorrow (Friday 1/25) morning to
deconstruct our current school website. We used one of the major =
Independent
School website vendors, and while the Development/Admissions folks are =
quite
happy with the external PR look and feel of our site, our intranet (with
portals for students, faculty, parents and alumni) has been incredibly
un-user-friendly, requires too much clicking and navigating for the
end-user, and is not so easy or intuitive for teachers who want to =
create
content for their class pages. Additionally, it has lots of limits in =
terms
of integrating with our email system, linking to blogs, and embedding =
Web
2.0 features and widgets (blogs, flickr libraries, etc.)

I've been given the homework of finding some "great" school websites. =
Based
on the shortcomings I've described above, do any of you have some good
examples you could send my way? Hopefully this might be useful to some =
of
the rest of you out there as well.

(I apologize for the cross-post...I posted this to the Classroom 2.0 and
ISENET Ning groups as well...)

Thanks so much,
Barbara Cohen, Educational Technology Coordinator
Marin Country Day School
bcohen@mcds.org
http://barblcohen.edublogs.org

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =