Monday, January 28, 2008

Re: Question about Graduation/End-of-Year Activities at K-8 Independent School

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
Monday, January 28, 2008 at 6:52 AM -0500 wrote:
>Graland School is currently examining our end of the year
>activities/celebrations(including graduation,awards ceremonies,hallowed
>traditions, etc) for our eighth graders. Currently our school has a ninth
>grade, but that program will end next year. Even though we could rely on
>the tried and true activities from years past, we believe we must find
>out what other schools are doing. The committee on which I serve thanks
>you.

Hi!

Pine Cobble School (PK-9): Nine days before graduation, the 9th grade
takes a one-week trip to Costa Rica. The day they return, a Wednesday, the
6th-8th grades have day-long class trips, culminating in an all-school
(picnic. Thursday: half day, with all-school awards ceremony. Friday: half
day, graduation.

Stoneleigh-Burnham School (7-12): Our May traditions in the middle school
include all-school "Spearth Day" (service in the morning, a sort of fair
in the afternoon) and "Founders Day" (like a field day with a movie added
in). Then, during the last week, we have a Six Flags trip, the final
performing arts show of the year, and a Moving Up ceremony. The Seniors
have their own schedule, but that's probably different than what you're
looking for.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School