Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Re: Brainstorming the Development of an Online Progressive School

Fred,

I was looking at the OGS site and poked around a bit.
I came to this page:

http://www.learner.org/courses/envsci/interactives/energy/

Then I began to think out of the box a bit. Now this idea is not well
thought out so forgive me in advance. If you front load your idea with the
idea of IPAD type devices that works on an App based OS like IOS, Android,
Google, then think take notes, write a paper and read a text book and look
at a demonstration / simulation. Then think extended class room and here is
what I came up with.

Using an online classroom management software CMS assign tasks to your
students in class. They would go to a site like the one above and see Text
book chapters, videos, interactive labs, charts and diagrams, have access to
professionals in the field and a glossary and index link. In short all the
observables needed for different learning styles in one place. The student
then needs little more than a consumptive device like the IPAD to log in and
process the information. Then they can turn in some kind of assessment
project and move to the next class. The teacher could spend more time per
student and students would have access to more of the class at a later date.

This process could include a collaborative component in which students can
type, chat or video questions to their group or the teacher. I believe our
students learn by doing and by teaching so this interactive, collaborative
part is very important.

I was imagining the CMS to look like Moodle, the E Text and digital
resources to be bundled like the link above, and the "class" to located in a
student portal on the schools website.

What the collaborative part looks like and what the assessment looks like I
have not worked out. The assessment part is where I spend my time asking
questions and looking for answers.

The above scenario could take place in a classroom or in a virtual classroom
or a combination. Lets say I have an expert teacher of environmental
science teaching the class to a full classroom. I could imagine a student
in another location joining the class online. This could be a means for
schools to share both bright students and exceptional teachers with each
other.

Anyway Fred, that's as far as I went with this today.

David

Very Respectfully,

David Lankford
Director of Technology
Episcopal High School Houston
Cell 914 374 5813
Office 713 512 3460

"Encouragingly, Engagingly, Experientially, Efficiently"