Friday, May 30, 2008

Re: Social Networking Policy

A great discussion. We are also talking to all faculty about social
networking (and we use nings and diigo in school, so it becomes a practical
matter for us). I am also using Facebook to connect with our alums,
encouraging them to return to our alumni portal on our school's website. I
sometimes "see" much more than I want to, but it also gives me topics for
discussion with our faculty.
After reading Clay Shirky's book, Here Comes Everybody, I feel the need to
talk about this even more. We are not setting policy; we are, however,
talking to both students and faculty about maintaining a positive online
presence.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Keith E Gatling <keith@gatling.us> wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Alex Ragone <aragone@collegiateschool.org
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Good morning,
> >
> > NOTE: I know that we've had this conversation before, but I couldn't find
> > the threads in the ISED-L Archives.
> >
> > At Collegiate School, we're looking at what our school policy on social
> > networking between students and faculty should be.
> >
> > Our initial inclination was to create a restriction between students and
> > faculty 'friending' each other on social networks. But then the
> exceptions
> > happen...
>

> Ah, and the exceptions are many. For example, what do you do about the
> faculty member who is also a parent, and who interacts with his kid's
> friends socially IRL anyway? Does it make sense to say that you can't do
> online what you can otherwise? I have to say that since one of my students
> showed me how to create a Facebook page, and we checked to see if my
> daughter would accept me as one of her friends, I've been getting friend
> requests from my daughter's friends.
>
> A colleague of mine has a personal policy that I think is a very wise one.
> She will not invite students to "friend" her. That's just too creepy. But,
> if *they* make the first move, she'll accept. She feels that this also
> helps
> them to realize that they're not the only ones out there in the "social
> networks," and it gives her a chance to do a little "privacy education."
> And
> she's not even a computer teacher.
>
> --
>
> keg

> Keith E Gatling
> mailto:keith@gatling.us
> http://www.gatling.us/keith
> The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.

Susan Carter Morgan
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Fredericksburg Academy
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401