Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Re: "Emergence" - a quality of Learning Organizations

Hi Bram,

Some interesting ideas you are exploring here.

Following in the footsteps of Peter Gow I'd say that an ideal independent
school is a pretty good model for the type of learning organization you are
describing.

Of course, that ideal independent school exists more in theory than in
reality, but most of us are actively trying to move toward the ideal.

I think the future lies in continuing to transition away from an industrial
model of pedagogy to what Ken Robinson calls an organic model. I wish
Robinson would put some real effort into developing his organic model, but I
take him to mean essentially the model that John Seely Brown develops in
Pull.

"The new institutional model will involve a complete refocusing: Rather than
molding individuals to fit the needs of the institution, institutions will
be shaped to provide platforms to help individuals achieve their full
potential by connecting with others and better addressing challenging
performance needs."

Fred

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Bram Moreinis <bram@valstar.net> wrote:

> I'm interested in the way online collaboration tools can support the
> transition public school districts need to make away from the "iron cage" of
> the bureaucratic model (as Max Weber saw it) into Peter Senge's idea of
> Learning Organizations (always growing and changing in form as its member
> roles change) ....but has been difficult to imagine what Learning
> Organizations look like or have in common concretely.
>
> Until now.
>
> I appreciated Fred sharing "The Power of Pull" and have ordered it. John
> Seeley Brown is one of my favorite education theorists. From the look of it,
> Brown's book will address this.
>
> So does Alan Bain's description of "emergence" in The Self-Organizing
> School <
> http://www.amazon.com/Self-Organizing-School-Next-Generation-Comprehensive-Reforms/dp/1578866022>,
> which showed up in my Google Alert for "Open Source Education".
>
> I've written a blog post skimming on these ideas (adding Gregory Bateson
> and Christopher Alexander). Still theoretical but I think this is a good
> thread to deepen into.
> I don't know how many independent schools follow the bureaucratic model,
> but I wanted to share this post on ISED-L and see who might wish to comment
> further there or here:
>

> http://empowered-teacher.com/blog/10-05-22/transition-bureaucracy-learning-organizations
>
> -Bram
>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]