Monday, January 3, 2011

Re: OCR

Bud -

I was going to recommend OmniPage Pro for Mac, but I see that they are now
selling it for $499. That's outrageous. http://goo.gl/RFDi6 (We have an
older version that did not cost anything near that!)

I've used ReadIris at home with reasonable results. It's more reasonably
priced at $129.00.

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>
You don't *really* need to print this do you?

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Bud Brooks <bbrooks@bancroftschool.org>wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations for OCR software that is reliable and runs
> on a Mac with OS 10.6.
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Bud*
>
> William "Bud" Brooks
> Director of Technology
> Bancroft School
> 110 Shore Drive
> Worcester, MA 01605
> 508-853-2640 x340
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Re: Aruba Wireless?

We have been using Aruba Networks for two years now and I can't say enough
about how great the system is! From the initial setup to the continued
growth of our wireless network it has been very nice product to work with.
We are currently utilizing it for our secure campus network and a captive
portal visitor network as well as a pool of remote access points. If you
have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Timothy Maki * Network Systems Manager
New Hampton School * PH/Fax: (603) 677-3451
70 Main Street * New Hampton, NH 03256

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean
it's useless." - Thomas Edison

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Is anyone using using Aruba wireless network products?
>http://www.arubanetworks.com/ We are looking to replace our current
>wireless system and are accepting proposals from Aruba networks and
>others. If you are using Aruba networks please comment on your experience
>with their wireless products.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bill Germer
>Director of Network Services
>Shorecrest Preparatory School
>billg@shorecrest.org
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874
>]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
>non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

OCR

I am looking for recommendations for OCR software that is reliable and runs
on a Mac with OS 10.6.

Thanks,

*Bud*

William "Bud" Brooks
Director of Technology
Bancroft School
110 Shore Drive
Worcester, MA 01605
508-853-2640 x340

Re: Aruba Wireless?

We are currently using Aruba products and are extremely satisfied with the =
system. We have an on-campus secure network, a captive-portal guest networ=
k, and remote access points deployed. It all works great. For the basic s=
tuff, you just plug it in and it works. More complicated things like 802.1=
x authentication and remote access points are a little more demanding to se=
t up, but not terrible. Give me a call if you'd like more info. =20

David

David Rossell
Norwood School=20
Administrator of Network Services and Planning
drossell@norwoodschool.org
(301) 841-2178

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
] Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution=
, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Aruba Wireless?

Is anyone using using Aruba wireless network products? http://www.arubanetworks.com/ We are looking to replace our current wireless system and are accepting proposals from Aruba networks and others. If you are using Aruba networks please comment on your experience
with their wireless products.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Germer
Director of Network Services
Shorecrest Preparatory School
billg@shorecrest.org

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

I just finished my first Android course with 12 high school students of
varied age, programming experience, and platform. I initially hoped to t=
each
iOS (since I use an iPhone and love Xcode), but more than half of the
students who signed up used Windows or Linux laptops, and iOS development=
is
pretty limited without Xcode ([
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4533847/alternatives-for-ios-developme=
nt-under-windows

]more options are emerging however). We coded in Java using Eclipse 3.5 =
with
the Android plugin and emulator - this is the setup most developers,
including Google's, use. A few students owned handhelds running various
versions of Android from 1.5 to 2.2, so we targeted a few different versi=
ons
and got to try them out.

There are plenty of great sites and tutorials out there, especially on th=
e [
http://developer.android.com/guide/ ]Android Developer site, but I didn't
feel that any were comprehensive enough for a semester course, so I ended=
up
supplementing them with [
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MZ0XN4/ref=3Dpd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd=
_p=3D486539851&pf_rd_s=3Dlpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=3D201&pf_rd_i=3D0321673=
352&pf_rd_m=3DATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=3D1QGMH6T8DYH5S10FMSBC

]Sams Teach Yourself Android App Development in 24 Hours - mostly because
there was a electronic version the kids could download. The book was gre=
at
for our needs, but I'm sure better books have emerged since that one came=
out.

I decided not to spend much time on AppInventor, which looks and behaves =
lot like Scratch, since it doesn't take you much beyond the basics of
programming. Honestly though, Android turned out to be complex enough fo=
beginners that after a semester their apps were pretty simple - and we we=
re
able to make something comparable with AppInventor in just a few hours! :=
)=20
Our more advanced students were able to do more, however.

In the end we had a great time and they learned a lot, but teaching Andro=
id
proved more complex than I expected. It uses an MVC-like framework, so o=
top of basic Java structures, syntax, and inheritance I had to explain XM=
layouts, listeners, interfaces, and a relatively-confusing debugger (DDMS=
is
definitely less friendly than Xcode!). I'm not sure I'll offer this cour=
se
again to beginners - I found myself helping them after class more than I'=
bargained for...

I posted to Fred's Ning a few times early in the semester and haven't had
time to write more, but I'd be happy to help people who are considering t=
his.

Ben

--
Ben Stumpf
Computer Studies Chair

Vern Ceder <vceder@canterburyschool.org> on January 3, 2011 at 8:42 AM -0=
500
wrote:
I'm working on learning android development myself, and have
experimented with AppInventor as well, but haven't yet done anything
in class. AppInventor is now open to all and pretty easy, but also
pretty limited. Otherwise, as a friend (who is a professional software
engineer) says, "android development is pretty straigthforward - the
only thing backward about it is Java." ;)

I know that Doug Bergman at Porter-Gaud does a little bit of android
development with one of his classes.

Cheers,
Vern

-----------------------------
Vern Ceder, Director of Technology
Canterbury School, 3210 Smith Road, Ft Wayne, IN 46804

Beth Ritterguth <bethritterguth@gmail.com> on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM wrot=
e:
Hi Fred - I am not sure if I am part of the ning? =A0I would love to be i=
f I
am not already. =A0We are programming Android apps, and am wondering if a=
nyone
else in the group is working with them?

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

The students started off building a quasi version of the HelloPurr Android
App (using a picture of them at a behind the scenes tour of the digital
environment at Carowinds amusement park and a sound clip from Finding Nemo).
They are moving from that to build an app called "Monster Spray" that I
built for iPhone (it is for my son - he is scared of monsters). Once they
build that, they will create educational apps of their own choosing.

Thanks for getting this all organized Fred!

BRG

Beth Lynne Ritter-Guth
English, Computer Science, and Robotics Teacher
Oak Hill Academy

CEO, Literature Alive! in Second Life
http://LiteratureAlive.wikispaces.com

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Seth Battis <seth@battis.net> wrote:

> I'm nearing the end of the first semester of a year-long iOS development
> class. It's a very fun, very small class -- two bright students, neither of
> whom has had any formal programming experience before (one had absolutely
> none, the other had taught himself ActionScript)... but both of them have
> been eager to dive in and get their hands very, very dirty. Week 2, I found
> myself explaining memory addresses, references and reference counting in
> more detail than at any point since college compsci exams, because the
> students wanted to know. So, short version: I've got an abnormally
> wonderful
> class.
>
> We've been using the Big Nerd Ranch iPhone book, which we have been _very_
> happy with. But it pre-supposes a fair amount of familiarity with either
> C/C++ or object-oriented programming in general. I've been filling in those
> gaps for the students as we go.
>
> With two weeks to go in the semester, with no formal programming experience
> between them, the students are about 75% of the way through writing an app
> to scrape the school website for homework assignments and then present them
> as a hierarchical list. (Phase 2, they hope, will be a full-blown to-do
> app.) It's been a combination of using the recipes from the book and doing
> bunch of guided (by me) reading of Apple Developer docs and Stack Overflow.
>
> -- S
>
> Seth Battis / http://battis.net / seth@battis.net / @battis / (323)
> 638-7384
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

I'm nearing the end of the first semester of a year-long iOS development
class. It's a very fun, very small class -- two bright students, neither of
whom has had any formal programming experience before (one had absolutely
none, the other had taught himself ActionScript)... but both of them have
been eager to dive in and get their hands very, very dirty. Week 2, I found
myself explaining memory addresses, references and reference counting in
more detail than at any point since college compsci exams, because the
students wanted to know. So, short version: I've got an abnormally wonderful
class.

We've been using the Big Nerd Ranch iPhone book, which we have been _very_
happy with. But it pre-supposes a fair amount of familiarity with either
C/C++ or object-oriented programming in general. I've been filling in those
gaps for the students as we go.

With two weeks to go in the semester, with no formal programming experience
between them, the students are about 75% of the way through writing an app
to scrape the school website for homework assignments and then present them
as a hierarchical list. (Phase 2, they hope, will be a full-blown to-do
app.) It's been a combination of using the recipes from the book and doing a
bunch of guided (by me) reading of Apple Developer docs and Stack Overflow.

-- S

Seth Battis / http://battis.net / seth@battis.net / @battis / (323) 638-7384

Re: iPad Insurance / Warranty

Renee,

Got it. We self insure school owned machines... essentially our
financial aid fleet. Would be quite a bit trickier with parent owned
computers.

Fred

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Renee Ramig
<rramig@sevenhillsschool.org> wrote:
> I am probably going to ask parents to pay for warranties under our 1 to 1=
program. =A0If they choose not to, they pick up the cost to repair. =A0So,=
I was trying to find warranty / insurance options they could purchase.

> Also, the way our budgeting works, is it "clears out" each year. =A0So, I=
would have no way to keep a pool of money from one year to the next for re=
pairs.

> Thanks,
>
> Renee

extended warranties on the iPad. =A0The Applecare warranty is $99, only cov=
ers two years, and only covers mechanical / electrical issues not spills an=
d drops (which I anticipate would be much more likely).

>> Have any of you used Square Trade (http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad=
-landing?ccode=3Dbs_war_vc_090:homepageipad
)? =A0It is $180 for three years=
, but they offer 30% off in bulk so $126 for three years including accident=
al protection.

>> How about the Worth Ave Group insurance? =A0(http://www.worthavegroup.co=
m/ipad) =A0They are about $131 for three years and cover accidents, disaste=
rs, vandalism, as well as theft. =A0However, weirdly, it does not cover reg=
ular mechanical / electrical issues. =A0It also has a $50 deductible.

>> We are strongly considering implementing these in our K, 4 (classroom us=
e only) and 1-to-1 in our middle school (6th - 8th). =A0I am really hoping =
they will last three years, so I want to find some warranty to cover them f=
or three years.

>> Also, those of you using it one to one, how are you dealing with each st=
udent having their own iTunes account? =A0Do they pay for their own softwar=
e? =A0Are you using the licensing program and distributing codes? =A0I want=
teachers to be able to have the flexibility of having students install app=
s that they find throughout the year. =A0I want students to be able to sync=
at home, so they will need to have their own account with their own userna=
me and password.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Renee Ramig
>> Seven Hills School
>>
>> P.S. =A0I am working on a db of iPad apps. =A0I will share when complete=
d. =A0I will also post the survey results soon from those of you that poste=
d info on use of / planned use of iPads in your school.

>> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128=
874 ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution=
, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
>>

> --
> Fred Bartels
> Dir. of Info. Tech.
> Rye Country Day School
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

Exchange 2003 sends multiple out office messages - I can not turn it off

Need a help,

One of my user just turned off out of office message but her computer kee=
ps sending them to all people from her inbox (over 8k).
- exchange 2003
- OWA confirms that OOF is off
- it works fine when se is on PC (outlook 2003)
- keeps sending them only when entourage is online (2004)

I did remove her entourage account from machine and reinstalled it - stil=
l this same

Any ideas,
Artur Morka
Lowell School

Re: iPad Insurance / Warranty

I am probably going to ask parents to pay for warranties under our 1 to =
1 program. If they choose not to, they pick up the cost to repair. So, =
I was trying to find warranty / insurance options they could purchase. =20

Also, the way our budgeting works, is it "clears out" each year. So, I =
> [...]

with their own username and password.

> Thanks,
>
> Renee Ramig
> Seven Hills School
>
> P.S. =A0I am working on a db of iPad apps. =A0I will share when =
completed. =A0I will also post the survey results soon from those of you =
that posted info on use of / planned use of iPads in your school.

> [ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

[ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

Hi Tom,

Here is the invite link: http://phdpln.ning.com/?xgi=3D0Z61eK8IlylCj4

Fred

he Ning. =A0I am at john@heathwood.org

On Behalf Of Fred Bartels [fredbartels@gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 6:18 AM
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)
>
> Hi John,
>
> Just finishing up teaching a one semester introduction to iOS
> programming course. Will be teaching a follow-on course second
> semester.
>
> It has been an interesting experience so far. Very challenging.
> Probably a topic that is best for post AP Comp. Sci. students. I'm
> running a ning on the subject. If you (or any other programming
> teachers) are interesting in participating let me know and I'll send
> you an invite.
>
> Fred
>

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Caballero, John
> <caballeroj2@heathwood.org> wrote:
>> Is anyone teaching a class where students learn computer programming by =
programming apps for the iPod/iPhone/iPad?

>> If so, I would appreciate any information you can share about the experi=
ence: =A0How did it go? =A0How big was the class? =A0Do you have a syllabus=
you wouldn't mind sharing? =A0Did any students have their apps accepted by=
iTunes?

>> We are interested in a course like this and are looking around to see wh=
at we can learn from others. =A0Any information is greatly appreciated.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Tom Hart <Thart@gcds.net> wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> Can you send me an invite? Very interested in programming apps course.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorize=
d review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the=
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy a=
ll copies of the original message.

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

Hi Beth,

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM, britterguth <bethritterguth@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> Hi Fred - I am not sure if I am part of the ning? =A0I would love to be i=
f I
> am not already. =A0We are programming Android apps, and am wondering if a=
nyone
> else in the group is working with them?
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

A small thing you can do for our larger public purpose

I sent the following out to my school's faculty and staff this
morning. I hope you will do consider doing something similar at your
school.

Thanks for considering.

As many of you know, public schools have been under tremendous stress
since the 2007 financial meltdown. Budgets have been slashed, hundreds
of thousands of teachers laid off, and the low-income populations
served by public schools are experiencing economic hardship we can
hardly imagine in our privileged school environment.

Many of you may not know that public schools serve 98% of the school
age population, while independent schools serve the other 2%. NAIS
schools serve about 1%.

Currently many politicians and pundits are blaming public schools and
public school teachers for failing to raise test scores.

Public school teachers are feeling very discouraged in this climate.
To show support for public schools there is a movement to wear
something red this Tuesday.
https://sites.google.com/site/sosmtm/wear-red-for-public-ed/why-red

A group of independent school educators is working to let our public
school colleagues know we support them by sharing group pictures of
those teachers at our schools who wear red on Tuesday. If you plan on
wearing red tomorrow let me know and I'll work on arranging a time for
a group picture.

I've created a discussion on ISENET
(http://isenet.ning.com/forum/topics/showing-support-for-public) where
we can share pictures.

Fred

PS Wouldn't it send a great message to see the NAIS staff decked out
in red tomorrow! :-)

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

Dear Fred,

Thanks for the feedback and for the offer. I would love an invite to the N=
ing. I am at john@heathwood.org

Thanks,

John Caballero
Heathwood Hall Episcopal School

Just finishing up teaching a one semester introduction to iOS
programming course. Will be teaching a follow-on course second
semester.

It has been an interesting experience so far. Very challenging.
Probably a topic that is best for post AP Comp. Sci. students. I'm
running a ning on the subject. If you (or any other programming
teachers) are interesting in participating let me know and I'll send
you an invite.

Fred

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Caballero, John
<caballeroj2@heathwood.org> wrote:
> Is anyone teaching a class where students learn computer programming by p=
rogramming apps for the iPod/iPhone/iPad?

> If so, I would appreciate any information you can share about the experie=
nce: How did it go? How big was the class? Do you have a syllabus you wo=
uldn't mind sharing? Did any students have their apps accepted by iTunes?

> We are interested in a course like this and are looking around to see wha=
t we can learn from others. Any information is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
>
> John Caballero
> Heathwood Hall Episcopal School
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

Dear Beth,

I would love to know what you have done with programming Android Apps - I d=
id not mean to exclude Android in my original email, I am generally interes=
ted in using apps as the vehicle for teaching computer programming. Anythi=
ng you can share would be great.

Thanks,

John

Hi Fred - I am not sure if I am part of the ning? I would love to be if I
am not already. We are programming Android apps, and am wondering if anyon=
else in the group is working with them?

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

I'm working on learning android development myself, and have
experimented with AppInventor as well, but haven't yet done anything
in class. AppInventor is now open to all and pretty easy, but also
pretty limited. Otherwise, as a friend (who is a professional software
engineer) says, "android development is pretty straigthforward - the
only thing backward about it is Java." ;)

I know that Doug Bergman at Porter-Gaud does a little bit of android
development with one of his classes.

Cheers,
Vern

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM, britterguth <bethritterguth@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> Hi Fred - I am not sure if I am part of the ning? =A0I would love to be i=
f I
> am not already. =A0We are programming Android apps, and am wondering if a=
nyone
> else in the group is working with them?
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

--=20
This time for sure!
=A0=A0 -Bullwinkle J. Moose
-----------------------------
vceder@canterburyschool.org; 260-436-0746; FAX: 260-436-5137

The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed -=A0http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

Hi Fred,

Can you send me an invite? Very interested in programming apps course.

Thanks,
Tom

Just finishing up teaching a one semester introduction to iOS
programming course. Will be teaching a follow-on course second
semester.

It has been an interesting experience so far. Very challenging.
Probably a topic that is best for post AP Comp. Sci. students. I'm
running a ning on the subject. If you (or any other programming
teachers) are interesting in participating let me know and I'll send
you an invite.

Fred

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Caballero, John
<caballeroj2@heathwood.org> wrote:
> Is anyone teaching a class where students learn computer programming =
by programming apps for the iPod/iPhone/iPad?

> If so, I would appreciate any information you can share about the =
experience: How did it go? How big was the class? Do you have a =
syllabus you wouldn't mind sharing? Did any students have their apps =
accepted by iTunes?

> We are interested in a course like this and are looking around to see =
what we can learn from others. Any information is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
>
> John Caballero
> Heathwood Hall Episcopal School
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

[ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended =
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. =
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. =
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by =

Re: Programming apps for iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

Hi Fred - I am not sure if I am part of the ning? I would love to be if I
am not already. We are programming Android apps, and am wondering if anyone
else in the group is working with them?

Re: iPad Insurance / Warranty

Renee,

I recommend looking at studentinsurancepartners.com for additional insuranc=
e (ADP, Fire, Theft) for you iPads.=20

Jason Hyams
Director of Technology
St. Agnes Academy

Office:=A0=A0=A0 (713)219-5445=A0=20
Mobile:=A0 (713)703-5867
http://www.st-agnes.org/technology

I was wondering what other schools are using / thinking about using for ext=
ended warranties on the iPad. The Applecare warranty is $99, only covers t=
wo years, and only covers mechanical / electrical issues not spills and dro=
ps (which I anticipate would be much more likely).

Have any of you used Square Trade (http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-la=
nding?ccode=3Dbs_war_vc_090:homepageipad
)? It is $180 for three years, but=
they offer 30% off in bulk so $126 for three years including accidental pr=
otection. =20

How about the Worth Ave Group insurance? (http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipa=
d) They are about $131 for three years and cover accidents, disasters, van=
dalism, as well as theft. However, weirdly, it does not cover regular mech=
anical / electrical issues. It also has a $50 deductible.

We are strongly considering implementing these in our K, 4 (classroom use o=
nly) and 1-to-1 in our middle school (6th - 8th). I am really hoping they =
will last three years, so I want to find some warranty to cover them for th=
ree years. =20

Also, those of you using it one to one, how are you dealing with each stude=
nt having their own iTunes account? Do they pay for their own software? A=
re you using the licensing program and distributing codes? I want teachers=
to be able to have the flexibility of having students install apps that th=
ey find throughout the year. I want students to be able to sync at home, s=
o they will need to have their own account with their own username and pass=
word. =20

Thanks,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

P.S. I am working on a db of iPad apps. I will share when completed. I w=

Sunday, January 2, 2011

iPad Insurance / Warranty

I was wondering what other schools are using / thinking about using for =
extended warranties on the iPad. The Applecare warranty is $99, only =
covers two years, and only covers mechanical / electrical issues not =
spills and drops (which I anticipate would be much more likely).

Have any of you used Square Trade =
(http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing?ccode=3Dbs_war_vc_090:home=
pageipad)? It is $180 for three years, but they offer 30% off in bulk =
so $126 for three years including accidental protection. =20

How about the Worth Ave Group insurance? =
(http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipad) They are about $131 for three years =
and cover accidents, disasters, vandalism, as well as theft. However, =
weirdly, it does not cover regular mechanical / electrical issues. It =
also has a $50 deductible.

We are strongly considering implementing these in our K, 4 (classroom =
use only) and 1-to-1 in our middle school (6th - 8th). I am really =
hoping they will last three years, so I want to find some warranty to =
cover them for three years. =20

Also, those of you using it one to one, how are you dealing with each =
student having their own iTunes account? Do they pay for their own =
software? Are you using the licensing program and distributing codes? =
I want teachers to be able to have the flexibility of having students =
install apps that they find throughout the year. I want students to be =
able to sync at home, so they will need to have their own account with =
their own username and password. =20

[...]

Re: Scheduling software that fits specific criteria for elementary school use

We've found some success with ASC Timetables (http://www.asctimetables.com/=
). The program is pretty flexible in terms of setting the length of class =
periods for block periods. The program is also free to try so you can see =
if it will meet your needs.

Thanks,
Chris Mosier

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chris Mosier
Technology Coordinator
Turning Point School
cmosier@turningpointschool.org

_______________________

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:25:45 -0800
From: Marybeth Heyd <heydm@cee-school.org>
Subject: Scheduling software that fits specific criteria for elementary sch=
ool use

Hello all and happy holidays!

I know there have been some posts of late about block scheduling - a
colleague of mine here at CEE (Toddler-Grade 6) is looking at block
scheduling software. She asked me to post the following question to the
group:
"I know such a thing as a block scheduling assistant exists, but I
cannot seem to locate anything that is appropriate for elementary school
block scheduling and is not super expensive or packaged with 8000 other
things."
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Marybeth

Marybeth Heyd
Director of Lower Elementary
The Center for Early Education
563 N. Alfred St.
West Hollywood, CA 90048
323-651-0707
323-651-0860 (fax)
heydm@cee-school.org
www.centerforearlyeducation.org

Job Announcement: Director of Information Technology - The Park School

Hello,
I realize that Valerie Roman has made this announcement in a previous
e-mail, but to help clarify my situation for my ISED-L friends and
colleagues, I'd like to share the same message I sent along to my
Wizards-L friends.

Please note that to make application for this highly desirable position,
do not reply directly to me. Instructions are provided below.

Happy New Year everyone.

- Tom Smith, The Park School
=================

Subject: Director of Information Technology position at The Park School,
Brookline, MA

Hello,

After seventeen wonderful years as Director of Information Technology at
The Park School, at my own request I am happily stepping aside to pass the
baton to someone who will lead us into the next decade. This is not a
retirement for me. The Park School is expanding our technology department
by one person, and I will stay on as database administrator and will also
work on special projects. (We all know that there is never a lack of
"special projects" when it comes to school technology.)

In an attempt to be completely unbiased, I can say that this is a highly
desirable position working in a school which is healthy in every way. Our
leadership is committed to technology which can enable us to meet our high
aspirations as a premier elementary/middle school. Our technology team has
four talented individuals who are both individually and collectively
committed to the smooth operation of our infrastructure, and the
successful use of technology by every member of our community.

We seek a highly skilled technology leader who can combine a clear vision
for the instructional use of technology with experience as a network
administrator, including hands-on management of servers, databases, and
delivery systems. If you are aware of someone who would be a good
candidate, please forward this message, including the following link. On
the right side of that page, there are further details with instructions
for application. Assuming we find a strong candidate, our application
deadline is January 31.

[ https://www.parkschool.org/podium/default.aspx?t=130388&rc=1
]https://www.parkschool.org/podium/default.aspx?t=130388&rc=1

Wishing you a very happy new year, and success with your important roles
in education.

---
Tom Smith, Director of Information Technology
The Park School, 171 Goddard Ave., Brookline, MA 02445

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Consider Wearing Red to Support Public Ed on Tuesday

https://sites.google.com/site/sosmtm/wear-red-for-public-ed/why-red

ISED/Wonderful job opportunity

Happy New Year! I am assisting The Park School (PreK-9 private school in Br=
ookline, MA) in recruiting an IT Director.=C2=A0 It is a unique and wonderf=
ul opportunity. The salary range is extremely competitive and the school is=
extremely generous in its support of technology. Below is a copy of the ad=
vertisement that was recently published. If you have any questions, please =
contact me, and if you know of any worthy candidates, please let me now.=C2=
=A0 Thanks, and Happy New Year to all!=20

Best,=20

Valerie=20

ValerieRoman@comcast.net=20

603-432-3733=20
"The only important thing in life is having a positive and lasting effect o=
n someone else's life." - V. Roman=20

The Park School=20

Brookline, MA=20

Director of Information Technology=20

The Park School, a coeducational independent school, has offered an excepti=
onal education to students in grades Pre-K to IX since 1888. Today, 560 chi=
ldren come from throughout the metropolitan Boston area to our beautiful 26=
-acre campus. At Park, students develop a passion for learning. Our outstan=
ding teachers get to know each child through small classes and an active pa=
rtnership with parents. Park is committed to being a school of diverse race=
s, religions, cultures, and backgrounds. Central to its mission is an appre=
ciation of similarities and differences of perspective and the interdepende=
nce of all people.=20

The Director of Information Technology is a key leadership position at Park=
School. =C2=A0 Technology supports all areas of school operation and is vi=
ewed as an essential tool in enhancing instruction across the curriculum. =
=C2=A0 Park seeks to be a leader in the thoughtful and ethical application =
of technology in the 21 st century, and the Director of Information Technol=
ogy brings vision and expertise to fulfilling this evolving aspiration. =C2=
=A0 S/he must have excellent communication skills and demonstrate the abili=
ty to work effectively with all constituencies within an elementary/middle =
school community.=20

Park=E2=80=99s next Director of Information Technology will enter a school =
that has a well-developed infrastructure and a culture that encourages crea=
tive and collaborative use of technology. =C2=A0 S/he must be forward think=
ing and able to knowledgeably lead the school in anticipating the future la=
ndscape of an essential and rapidly changing field.=20

The Director of Information Technology reports to the Head of School. =C2=
=A0 S/he manages the technology operations budget and works as a member of =
the School=E2=80=99s leadership team to develop and implement long-range pl=
ans for Park=E2=80=99s technology program. =C2=A0=C2=A0=20

The successful candidate for this exciting leadership opportunity will need=
to be able to combine a clear vision for the instructional use of technolo=
gy with experience as a network administrator, including hands-on managemen=
t of servers, databases, and delivery systems. =C2=A0 S/he will lead a tech=
nology team consisting of a full-time database administrator, a full-time w=
eb master, and two full-time instructional technology/computer support spec=
ialists. =C2=A0=20

Interested candidates should submit electronically a cover letter, resume, =
and answers of 250 words or less to each of the following two questions to =
debbiemartinconsulting@comcast.net by January 31, 2011: =C2=A0=20

Question #1: =C2=A0 Give an example of a promising educational technology o=
pportunity or trend. =C2=A0 Describe what this implies for elementary/middl=
e school teaching and learning over the years ahead.=20

Question #2: =C2=A0 Give an example of a technology project or initiative t=
hat you were responsible for leading. Describe the implementation process a=
nd the major benefits that were realized as a result of your efforts.