Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Re: digital signage options

I am also looking into digital signage however, I am only on one board using
a mini. Does anyone have any suggestions for software? We are looking for
web based or otherwise.

Thanks,
Frank Torrano
Cathedral School for Boys
415.614.5175
torrano@cathedralschool.net

> From: "Zaubi, Phil" <Phil.Zaubi@portergaud.edu>
> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:31:55 -0400
> To: <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
> Subject: digital signage options
>
> We are putting in more and more flat screen tvs across campus for digital
> signage, school event highlights, etc. and Im interested to hear what
> software and hardware combinations schools are using to control and display
> the content.
>
> Are you connecting to a computer in another room? Mac mini? Other?
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil
>
> ______________________________
> Phil Zaubi
> Director of Technology
> Porter-Gaud School
> Charleston, Sc
> 843.402.4711
> http://www.portergaud.edu
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]

Re: digital signage options

Hi Phil,

Please keep this public. I am getting closer to implementation and this pr=
oject has bubbled to the surface. Here are links that this group offered u=
p in January of this year (separated by a line break):

http://www.mediasignage.com/

We have used WKiosk from APP4Mac for the past 3 years and like it very much=
.
http://www.app4mac.com/software/products.php?category_id=3D1

http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/signage/

We just put them on a revolving powerpoint...works great!

Has worked out real well for us.

Sedna Presenter
http://www.sedna-presenter.com/
Found this product from the NYSCATE Metro conference by the Tekserve vendor=
,
a popular Mac vendor in New York City. http://www.tekserve.com. I was
thinking about getting it next summer.

There seem to be quite a few options. My criteria are:

1. Cheap
2. Easy to manage (software as a service)
3. Be able to merge many different XML feeds or other
4. Potential to be interactive with touch screen
5. LCD needs only a small footprint network device to connect over CAT5 e=
tc.
6. Easy to update and change displays so end users can post to areas if n=
eeded
7. RSS capable or simply HTML capable regions

Hope this helps,

P.s. I have not landed on anything and am dusting off the research I starte=
d earlier...

On 8/31/10 11:31 AM, "Zaubi, Phil" <Phil.Zaubi@portergaud.edu> wrote:

We are putting in more and more flat screen tvs across campus for digital s=
ignage, school event highlights, etc. and Im interested to hear what softw=
are and hardware combinations schools are using to control and display the =
content.

Are you connecting to a computer in another room? Mac mini? Other?

Thanks

Phil

______________________________
Phil Zaubi
Director of Technology
Porter-Gaud School
Charleston, Sc
843.402.4711
http://www.portergaud.edu

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.

*****************************
Matt Pearson
Director of The Makers' Lab
Director of Security & Safety
Marin Country Day School
5221 Paradise Drive
Corte Madera, CA 94925
Phone: 415-927-5950
Fax: 415-945-5150
Email: mpearson@mcds.org
"Failures are steps to successful learning, innovation, and original ideas.=
"
*****************************
=FC Please consider the environment before printing this email.

digital signage options

We are putting in more and more flat screen tvs across campus for digital s=
ignage, school event highlights, etc. and Im interested to hear what softw=
are and hardware combinations schools are using to control and display the =
content.

Are you connecting to a computer in another room? Mac mini? Other?

Thanks

Phil=20

______________________________
Phil Zaubi
Director of Technology
Porter-Gaud School=20
Charleston, Sc
843.402.4711
http://www.portergaud.edu

Re: First Class mobile apps?

First Class Synchronization Service will let any phone capable of using
Microsoft ActiveSync to synchronize email, contacts and calendars. To
the phone, your First Class server will just look like an Exchange server.

Another alternative is to use FC Webmail with mobile templates and login
to the FC server directly.

Ed Paynter
Greensboro Day School

First Class mobile apps?

This question goes out to First Class users - I know about the iPhone app
for First Class, but does any use anything else for the other smartphones
(Verizon) to grab their First Class email?
Thanks in advance,
Ann

Ann Hamel
Fay School
Southborough, MA

Monday, August 30, 2010

Re: Slate project on building a better classroom

On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Bassett, Patrick wrote:

> a box with movable parts (chairs, desks, manipulatives, technology, etc.)

Rather than have the parts move around inside a fixed box, perhaps we should put the classroom within a big bus or railroad car. That way the inside parts stay the same and the outside moves as the bus/train travels around seeing different scenery, different cities, different regions.

I am reminded of the sea captain's family who joined him on voyages. Mom taught class on the deck, and every day there was a different outside world, traveling from port to port, country to country, hearing different languages and seeing different peoples.

These kids (like many other children of American expatriates) became Third Culture Kids (TCK/3CK) with substantial multi-dimensional advantages over stay-at-home kids.

We might think about creating schools in a bus or a train or a ship -- and thereby move the outside box instead of the inside parts.

=== Bill

William New
Trustee
Putney School
Putney, VT 05346

Re: Slate project on building a better classroom

On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Bassett, Patrick wrote:

> a box with movable parts (chairs, desks, manipulatives, technology, =
etc.)

Rather than have the inside parts move around inside a fixed box, =
perhaps we should put the classroom inside a big bus or railroad car. =
That way the inside parts stay the same and the outside moves as the =
bus/train travels around seeing different scenery, different cities, =
different regions.

I am reminded of the sea captain's family who joined him on voyages. =
Mom taught class on the deck, and every day there was a different =
outside world, traveling from port to port, country to country, hearing =
different languages and seeing different peoples.

These kids (like many other children of American expatriates) became =
Third Culture Kids (TCK/3CK) with substantial multi-dimensional =
advantages over stay-at-home kids.=20

We might think about starting a school in a bus or a train or a ship -- =
and thereby move the outside box instead of the inside parts.

=3D=3D=3D Bill

William New
Trustee
Putney School
Putney, VT 05346

K-3 music activities

I am looking for a good resource for hands on, interactive, music
activities for K - 3. Thanks!

:) Laurie

Laurie Yalem
Technology Coordinator
Churchill Center & School for Learning Disabilities
1021 Municipal Center Dr.
Town & Country, MO 63131
314-997-4343
lyalem@churchillstl.org
www.churchillstl.org

Re: New Librarian

Provide all students sufficient access to great information literacy =
tools like Noodlebib, Evernote, and databases such as jstor and =
proquest. =20

Jennifer Zagariello
Director of Educational Technology
The Montclair Kimberley Academy
jzagariello@mka.org
973-509-4861

On Aug 29, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Chris Delmar wrote:

> Document cameras...
>=20
> Chris Delmar
> Technology Program Director
> Christ Episcopal School
> 109 South Washington Street
> Rockville, MD 20850
> 301-424-6550=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
Mueller
> Sent: Fri 8/6/2010 10:39 PM
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: New Librarian
>=20
> dictionaries.
were the most essential technology tools becides computers to have in =
your library. Thanks in advance for all of recomendations. [ For info on =
ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ] =
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =
attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license. RSS Feed, =
http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=20
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =
>=20

Jennifer Zagariello
Director of Educational Technology
The Montclair Kimberley Academy
jzagariello@mka.org

Re: Slate project on building a better classroom

It's not just how the classroom is laid out, it's what goes on inside it. I
invite readers to look at our school's new "partner," NuVu Studio (
www.nuvustudio.org). It's a day-only "term-away" program based on a
design-thinking model and focused on having students develop capacity in
creativity and innovation as they collaboratively explore real-world
problems. The model is the art/architecture studio model informed by the MIT
Media Lab, where some of the NuVu creators have been working (they're most
all recent PhD students at MIT, with a few Harvard folks there as well).

You can learn more about how the Beaver-NuVu program works at
www.bcdschool.org/nuvu. We have somewhere close to 60 kids in grades 10-12
who will spend a trimester there this year. It's pretty cool, and I suspect
that the physical space will take on some interesting attributes as the year
goes on--think the primary need is for lots of white wall space for posting
ideas, and lots of tools and materials for prototype building. Plus lots of
big brains for coaching the kids and giving them feedback as they work.

I can answer some questions off the list, if anyone is as jazzed by this as
I am.

I wish I were in high school again, just so I could do this--PG

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Fred <fredbartels@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.hpa.edu/academics/energy-lab
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 30, 2010, at 4:02 PM, "Bassett, Patrick" <bassett@nais.org> wrote:

Peter Gow
Director of College Counseling and Special Programs
Beaver Country Day School
791 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467
www.bcdschool.org
617-738-2755 (O)
617-738-2747 (F)
petergow3 (Skype)

Re: FW: Slate project on building a better classroom

Hawai=92i Preparatory Academy's new energy lab is quite interesting.

http://www.hpa.edu/academics/energy-lab

Fred

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Bassett, Patrick <bassett@nais.org> wrote:

> [...]

--=20
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.
Rye Country Day School

Re: Slate project on building a better classroom

http://www.hpa.edu/academics/energy-lab

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 30, 2010, at 4:02 PM, "Bassett, Patrick" <bassett@nais.org> =
> I don't know anyone who has seen more classrooms than I, all over the =
world, but I haven't yet seen one that wasn't a box with movable parts =
(chairs, desks, manipulatives, technology, etc.) It may be that the =
best idea is to leave the classroom behind (experiential ed as the =
norm), but SLATE is looking for the best ideas to work within the new =
classroom. Anyone seen anything different, a classroom designed for the =
future in a way that is truly different and innovative?
>=20
> Cheers.
>=20
> PFB
>=20
> "What we learn to do, we learn by doing." (Aristotle, 384-322 B.C.)
>=20
> Patrick F. Bassett, President
> NAIS - National Association of Independent Schools
> 1620 L St., NW, Washington, DC 20036
> 202.973.9710 (office) 202.746.5444 (cell) 202.973.9709 (fax)
> bassett@nais.org<mailto:bassett@nais.org> =
www.nais.org<http://www.nais.org/> =
www.twitter.com/patbassett<http://www.twitter.com/patbassett> =
www.facebook.com/NAISnetwork<http://www.facebook.com/NAISnetwork>
>=20

Re: Google Docs

Here here! I love this approach, Bill. Thanks.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Re: Cursive

Yes, we can learn to use digital tools without sacrificing writing, =
drawing, painting and manipulatives.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Re: Google Docs

Wow! A motherlode of resources. Thanks for sharing.

For those of you using Google Docs at your school......

We are implementing a pilot program for Google Docs this year. There are so=
me concerns from the English Dept. about who writes the papers. Could you p=
lease let us know how you have handled this type of situation?

from a concerned teacher....
>I don't know if I want to do this, however I'm definitely willing to give =
it a try. I talked with
xxx
> at length about this last year and it seems to me that there are some big=
loopholes. I know all about them signing on etc. at home but there is no =
way of knowing who is doing the actual writing once a kid signs on. It cou=
ld be parents, tutor,
>anybody. Convince me how to assure that that it is definitely the kids w=
riting and I'll sign on.

Thanks for your help!
Stephanie

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874=
]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=

Re: Google Docs

"Internet Resources on Avoiding, Stopping and Detecting Plagiarism For =
Academic Staff"
- from http://www.library.uq.edu.au/training/plagiarism.html#how

Chris Delmar
Technology Program Director
Christ Episcopal School
109 South Washington Street
Rockville, MD 20850
301-424-6550=20

For those of you using Google Docs at your school......

We are implementing a pilot program for Google Docs this year. There are =
some concerns from the English Dept. about who writes the papers. Could =
you please let us know how you have handled this type of situation?

from a concerned teacher....
>I don't know if I want to do this, however I'm definitely willing to =
give it a try.=A0 I talked with=20
xxx
> at length about this last year and it seems to me that there are some =
big loopholes.=A0 I know all about them signing on etc. at home but =
there is no way of knowing who is doing the actual writing once a kid =
signs on.=A0 It could be parents, tutor,
>anybody.=A0 Convince me=A0 how to assure that that it is definitely the =
kids writing and I'll sign on.=A0

Thanks for your help!
Stephanie

Friday, August 27, 2010

--
Fred Bartels
Dir. of Info. Tech.

Google Docs Form

Hi all,

Is there a way to edit the "Form is Turned Off" message in Google Docs?
We are Google Apps forms for an order form, have it turned off, but
would like to direct users what to do when it is turned off.

TIA!

=20

Bernadette Roche

Director of Technology

Oakhill Day School

www.oakhilldayschool.org

816.436.6228

Re: Google Docs

To add on to many correct comments...

I think the concern may actually be related to work done by two or more peo=
ple and worries about one of the people doing all of the work. If that is =
the case, you can look at a revision history for any Google Doc and you wil=
l see when edits were made and what user was logged in to make the edits. =
Also, you can restore a document to a previous version, very handy.

John Caballero
Heathwood Hall Episcopal School