Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cart for MP3 Players

Is anyone using class sets of MP3 players (e.g. ipods or other)? Does =
anyone know of any small carts designed for charging multiple MP3 =
players easily?

Thank you,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

Language Lab

Hi Everyone,

I know I have asked a similar question before, but I would love replies =
to the following if you have time:

1. Do you have a language lab at your school?
If yes
2. What system are you using?
3. Is it totally software based, or does it also have hardware =
components?
4. Is it used in high school, middle school, or both?
5. On average, how many days per week does each language teacher use =
it?
6. Was content purchased with the system, or do the teachers create all =
their content?
7. How is it used - supplement to a regular class, independent study, =
as a class, other?
8. Does the language lab have the traditional cubical type setup with =
dividers separating students, or some other configuration?
9. How long have you had the setup?
10. Do the teachers seem happy with it?
11. Is the language lab used only for language lab or is it a multiple =
use lab?

Thank you for your time. =20

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

Zinn Network

Plug for a worthy cause....
Forward to your history folks.

The [ http://www.zinnedproject.org/ ]Zinn Education Project, a collaborat=
ive effort by [ http://www.teachingforchange.org/ ]Teaching for Change an=
d [ http://www.rethinkingschools.org/ ]Rethinking Schools, has launched t=
he new [ http://www.zinnedproject.org/ ]Zinn Education Project: Teaching =
a People=E2=80=99s History website. The site features over 75 free, downl=
oadable teaching activities for middle and high school classrooms to brin=
g a people=E2=80=99s history to the classroom. The site also lists hundre=
ds
of recommended books, films and websites. The teaching activities and res=
ources are organized by theme, time period and grade level. This is the o=
nly collection of its kind for educators =E2=80=94 print or online =E2=80=
=94 in the country. Please visit and bookmark the new Zinn Education Proj=
ect: Teaching a People=E2=80=99s History [ http://www.zinnedproject.org/ =
]website. Zinn Education Project is also on [ http://www.facebook.com/pag=
es/Zinn-Education-Project/121352639676?ref=3Dts
]Facebook.

___________________________________________________________=C2=A0

Howard Levin=20
Director of Technology=20
aka - "Director of Digital Tools and Practices that Support, Enhance, and=
Extend the Teaching and Learning Process"=20
Apple Distinguished Educator in an Apple Distinguished School

The Urban School of San Francisco =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0
415-939-1957 m
415-593-9525 w
hlevin@urbanschool.org=C2=A0
www.howardlevin.com

Project Founder and Director
Telling Their Stories: Oral History Archives Project
www.tellingstories.org

Summer Workshops - www.centerforinnovativeteaching.org

Integrated Technology Symposium for School Leaders
&
Telling Their Stories: Producing Web-Based Digital Video Interviews

POS systems

We would like to have one POS system that works for both our school store and our full service cafeteria. Students purchase meals and snack items in the cafeteria. In the school store, they purchase uniforms and other attire plus gift items. We then
bill their purchases once a month on their school account. We use the RMS system in our store and ITC for our cafeteria, but would like to move to one system which would then interface with our soon to be implemented Veracross system.

We would like to hear from schools who have found one POS system for both. Which system are you using at POS? How are you transferring the POS data to your billing system and what billing/SIS system do you use?

Are there any schools using RMS? Please let us know where you use it, and how you transfer the billing data.

Thank you.

Kate Balsara-Pardoe
kbalsara@havergal.on.ca
Director of Finance & Operations
Havergal College, Toronto, ON
1-416-482-4725

Posted by:
Dr. Susan R. Groesbeck
Principal, Havergal College
1451 Avenue Road
Toronto, ON M5N 2H9
416-483-3519
sgroesbeck@havergal.on.ca
www.havergal.on.ca

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
This communication, including all attachments, is confidential and for the sole use of the addressees. Should you not be the intended recipient, any review, disclosure, dissemination, reproduction or other use of any portion of this communication is prohibited. Please notify us immediately and permanently delete the entire communication from all storage mediums if this communication was received in error.

Re: Pre-Primary Report Cards

Eleanor --

I'm late to this thread, but I would strongly advise NOT changing to an =
archived-Word-document system. We use narratives instead of letter =
grades, and we used to use such a system: the problem was that Word =
documents are "dead" data, whereas an SIS or a database allow you to =
search, categorize, etc. Pulling up all the records for a particular =
student is much, much easier with a database/SIS than it is if you need =
to open six separate word documents...and that's just for starters. We =
just this year switched over to a database, and while the switch-over =
took some time and patience, it was definitely worth it.

Mitch

*****************************
Mitch Bostian
Head of School
The Berkeley School
1310 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702

(510) 665-8800 ex. 102
mbostian@theberkeleyschool.org

www.theberkeleyschool.org

On Mar 26, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Kristen Dennison wrote:

> Eleanor,
> Does your Pre-Primary write a long narrative report? What we did at my =
old
> school was use our FM database so that we had all the fields for name, =
etc
> filled in and then had one, huge field called "narrative". Teachers =
just
> wrote their report right in that field. Would that work for you?
>=20
> Kristen Dennison
>=20
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Eleanor Brown
> <eleanor.brown@pinecrest.edu>wrote:
>=20
>> Our Pre-Primary division currently uses a report card handled by our =
SIS -
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =
attribution,
>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
>>=20
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

discussion forum for students/ faculty/ admin

Do any of you have online discussion forums for students/ faculty/ admin
to have good conversations about school "hot topics" or current issues
(such as dress code, assemblies, fundraising ideas for earthquake victims
etc)? If so, can you share your experiences? is it public to the world or
just to the community? did you set guidelines ahead of time? did you run
into anything unforseen?

Lorri Carroll
Director of Technology
Hamden Hall Country Day School
1108 Whitney Avenue
Hamden, CT 06517
lcarroll@hamdenhall.org
work (203) 752-2606
cell (203) 215-9833

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any disclosure,
distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. Thank you.

Summercore 2010 ... NYC ... VA ... FL

Below are the 3 entries that have tied for the most votes (so far)
regarding Summercore's "Vote for a Quote."

You can help determine the $33 winner by going to
http://www.summercore.com/vote and voting by April 1 midnight. For those
of you who have not heard, Summercore is a unique 5 day computer workshop
designed to energize teachers into becoming far more involved in
integrating technology into the classroom. Offered since 1985, Summercore
has educated over 2,682 teachers and administrators (mostly from
Independent Schools). Summercore is a 5 day, 35 hour course which focuses
on both skills and issues. In 2010, we are offering Summercore June 14-18
(Virginia Beach VA) July 12-16 (Riverdale NYC) and July 26-30 (Tampa FL).
Details on http://www.summercore.com ... Steve

"Summercore is a practical immersion in new technologies. Steve and Lynne
have been at this for decades and they know what they're doing -- their
goal is to make sure that you do, too." (BI from PA)
"Summercore is like eating a POWERBAR. You will be more energized. There
is nothing like changing your ways when you know it will touch your
students' lives forever. Do it for them!" (PL from FL)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Summercore or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Computer." (PF
from NY)

Steve Bergen (sbergen@cstorefront.org)
CIO and Computer Teacher, The Children's Storefront
An Independent School in Harlem
also co-director, The "Summercore" Teaching Company

Re: 21st Century Curriculum - study / review

We are working on 21st century skills and how to present them in our
everyday learning environment. Tony Wagner's *The Global Achievement
Gap*is a good start and will be required reading for our
faculty/staff. The
problem will likely be getting the requisite skills "hardwired" into our
pedagogy, curriculum and residential life programs.

Bob Flanagan
Missouri Military Academy

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Meyerson, Marilyn
<Mmeyerson@keyschool.org>wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> About six years ago, as a faculty we began thinking about and discussing
> 21st century skills. We did some readings, including Learning by Heart by
> Roland Barth. That book is actually more about school culture and the
> profession, but it was a good place to start because it affirms our work as
> educators and underscores the importance of personal and collective vision
> . We looked at a variety of national standards and the work of groups such
> as the Partnership for 21st century skills.
>
> After considerable discussion and debate, we brainstormed a long list of
> 21st century skills, literacies and habits of mind. We then did a red dot
> exercise in which each faculty member had six dots to place by the
> important items on the list. From that exercise, we arrived at the six
> topics the faculty deemed the most significant 21st century skills/topics
> for the school. They are environmental stewardship, global perspective, life
> skills, service learning, diversity and differentiated instruction. Teachers
> were invited to "follow their passion" (a Barth suggestion) and choose
> membership in the group that most interested them.
>
> Our next step was to write charges for each group. Again, all faculty and
> staff members were invited to participate in this exercise. These study
> groups have now been meeting for the past three years. Many of them have
> made visits to other schools and worked with outside consultants. Each group
> has reported out to the entire faculty, to departments and divisions as well
> as to the Board of Trustees.
>
> These study groups have been engines of curricular change at the school.
> They have led the way in projects such as the LEEDS remodeling of the Middle
> School and the expansion of our 20/20 NAIS award winning exchange with
> schools in Tanzania and England.
>
> This construct of red dot exercises and study groups works well for the
> school. Some of the ongoing curricular work on 21st century skills will be
> highlighted in Engaging Minds, Inspiring Ideas: Interdisciplinary teaching
> seminars on topics such as global education, bioethics and media literacy,
> www.keyschool.org
>

> Marilyn Meyerson
> Head, Libraries and Technology
> The Key School
> Annapolis, MD

e Partnership for 21st century skills.=20

After considerable discussion and debate, we brainstormed a long list of 21=
st century skills, literacies and habits of mind. We then did a red dot exe=
rcise in which each faculty member had six dots to place by the important =
items on the list. From that exercise, we arrived at the six topics the fac=
ulty deemed the most significant 21st century skills/topics for the school.=
They are environmental stewardship, global perspective, life skills, servi=
ce learning, diversity and differentiated instruction. Teachers were invite=
d to "follow their passion" (a Barth suggestion) and choose membership in t=
he group that most interested them.=20

Our next step was to write charges for each group. Again, all faculty and s=
taff members were invited to participate in this exercise. These study grou=
ps have now been meeting for the past three years. Many of them have made v=
isits to other schools and worked with outside consultants. Each group has =
reported out to the entire faculty, to departments and divisions as well as=
to the Board of Trustees.=20

These study groups have been engines of curricular change at the school. Th=
ey have led the way in projects such as the LEEDS remodeling of the Middle =
School and the expansion of our 20/20 NAIS award winning exchange with scho=
ols in Tanzania and England.=20

]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=

Re: Looking for International Skype Partners

I endorse working with Lucy Gray.

There's also the international school associations. I recomment NESA (Middl=
e east/South Asia). David Chojnacki is the Exec at nesa@nesacenter.org<mail=
to:nesa@nesacenter.org>

ISASA. the Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa, is another r=
esource. Jane Hofmeyr: janeh@isasa.org<mailto:janeh@isasa.org>

Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Director of Global Initiatives

National Association of Independent Schools

1620 L St. NW

Washington DC 20036

202-973-9753

miller@nais.org<mailto:miller@nais.org>

www.nais.org<http://www.nais.org>

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Call for Workshop Proposals! 2011 NAIS Annual Conference

Call for Workshop Proposals! 2011 NAIS Annual Conference

NAIS invites you and your staff members to submit your proposals to present=
a one-hour or three-hour workshop at the 2011 NAIS Annual Conference, Febr=
uary 23-25, at the Gaylord National Convention Center in National Harbor, M=
D (just outside of Washington, DC). This year's theme is Monumental Opportu=
nities: Advancing Our Public Purpose. Can you think of a better time to me=
et in our nation's capital than when politics has focused on national stand=
ards? Over the years, our schools have experienced an unprecedented period =
of growth, but times (and markets) have changed - requiring our community t=
o unite collectively in ongoing dialogue about what it takes to be independ=
ent school leaders - both now and in the future. These times require break=
through thinking and creativity, and the 2011 NAIS Annual Conference intend=
s to "disrupt" traditional notions about education and "switch" to more res=
ilient and adaptive models. Please share your expertise with your colleagu=
es.

Submit your workshop proposal online before June 1 at: http://www.nais.org/=
ac/ac.cfm?ItemNumber=3D153058&sn.ItemNumber=3D153059&navItemNumber=3D153114

Michelle Rhee, The Chancellor of Washington, DC's public schools (an indepe=
ndent school graduate herself!) issued a call to arms at the 2009 NAIS Annu=
al Conference, asking our audience, "Do we, as a nation, have what it takes=
to ensure that every child in America gets a quality education?" Join NAI=
S in answering this call.

Cheers.

PFB

Patrick F. Bassett, President
N A T I O N A L A S S O C I A T I O N O F I N D E P E N D E N T S C H O=
O L S
1620 L St., NW, Washington, DC 20036
202.973.9710 (Office)
202.746.5444 (Cell)
202-247-9667 (Fax)
bassett@nais.org<mailto:bassett@nais.org> www.nais.org<http://www.nais.or=
g>
www.twitter.com/PatBassett<http://www.twitter.com/PatBassett>
www.facebook.com/NAISnetwork<http://www.facebook.com/NAISnetwork>

This email is to be considered a confidential communication not to be forwa=
rded or shared unless otherwise explicitly noted.

Social Networking Guidelines, Copyright Standards, Protocol re: Plagiarism, Annual AUP Training

Greetings all!

=20

In the process of merging our Tech Plan into our Strategic Plan, we
identified several action items including developing social networking
guidelines (for faculty, staff, students, alumnae, trustees, parents),
copyright standards and protocol for teaching recognition and avoidance
of plagiarism, and a protocol for ethical use training along with the
training itself for all students. Note about the last item: Entry
grades 6 and 9 new student orientations include AUP topics; returning
students and their parents sign the AUP every year.

=20

If your school has social networking guidelines and/or copyright
standards and/or protocol re: plagiarism, or if you have suggestions for
good resources, please contact me if you are willing to share. Also,
what protocol do you follow for annual ethical use training? We are a
6-12 school with 1-to-1 laptops in grades 9-12.

=20

Meaty topics, one emailJ

=20

Thanks so much!

=20

-C.D.

=20

Carole Duff

Curriculum Technologist

Notre Dame Preparatory School

815 Hampton Lane

Towson, MD. 21286

410-825-6202 ext. 1022

duffc@notredameprep.com=20

Writing Assessments

We are looking for new options when it comes to assessing written
language. Currently we use the WRAP (from ERB). Wondering what other
school use to assess writing in K-8. Thanks.

:) Laurie

Laurie Yalem
Technology Coordinator
Churchill Center & School for Learning Disabilities
1021 Municipal Center Dr.
Town & Country, MO 63131
314-997-4343
lyalem@churchillstl.org
www.churchillstl.org

[...]

Hi Bernadette -

I run an online community for finding global project partners:
http://globaleducation.ning.com/. We have over 3200 members from the US and
abroad and the group is comprised of K12 teachers, college and university
folks and many non-profit employees. If you post in the discussion forum
here, you might find some partner schools and there is also a sub-group of
people interested in exploring uses of Skype in classrooms:
http://globaleducation.ning.com/group/skype.

Hope this helps,

Lucy Gray

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Bernadette Roche <
Bernadette.Roche@oakhilldayschool.org> wrote:

> [...]

connection.
=20
I've got a couple teachers already in England, France and Australia who
have signed on to cover Kindergarten and 2nd grade. I wondered if you
might have connections to help with the other continents. For 5th-7th,
it's a bit different since they are studying ancient world history, so
it would be cool to talk about the ruins, archeology, the Greeks,
Romans, Egyptians, Sumerians, etc. that lived there. My ultimate dream
would be connect to an expert, like an Egyptologist for example, and
allow kids to ask questions.
=20
I know this is very vague and I'm sorry about that. I am just throwing
a bunch of ideas out there to as many connections as I can think of to
see what might "stick." If you think you could help, I would REALLY

Re: Basic Web design resources needed

I am out of the office visiting Carey Academy. I will return on Thrusday,
April 1. If you need immediate assistance please contact Roger Basham
(roger.basham@kcd.org ext. 369) or Brian Wagner (brian.wagner@kcd.org ext.
356)

Re: Basic Web design resources needed

Dave, I have taught such a course (projects based) for about 5 years. I
am willing to share the materials I created years ago if you would like
to contact me off list. - Vi

vrichter@exeter.edu

Monday, March 29, 2010

which parents get access to online grades?

Hi -

I'm looking for some advice from schools who have web-based parent portals
where parents access grade reports instead of receiving them in print...

* Do you provide online logins to...
- - - Step-parents?
- - - Non-resident parents (the parent whose address is _not_ the primary
one the kids register with your school -- as in divorces/separations)?
- - - Spouses/significant others who live with non-resident parents?

* What do you do about providing logins to parents in sticky cases where,
for example...
- - - There's a non-resident parent who doesn't respond to the school's
annual "update" form; you may have an old email address but no indication
whether that parent is currently participating in the student's life?
- - - One parent says that the other does not have custody?

Thanks in advance,
Terry

. . .
Terry Dash
Director of Technology
Pike School
34 Sunset Rock Road
Andover, MA 01810
978.475.1197

Raising baseline staff IT proficiency

Dear ISED,

Our IT department is considering how to best support users to increase thei=
r baseline technical proficiency. What training, support, or professional d=
evelopment activities have you found that users adopt most readily and find=
most helpful? We will incorporate your feedback into our IT retreat this F=
riday, April 2. If you reply to me directly, I will summarize results and p=
ost them to the list.

Essential Question
What IT practice or communication strategy will best motivate faculty and s=
taff members to take advantage of professional development, support, and tr=
aining opportunities available through IT?

Background
If each user on campus possessed a certain baseline technical proficiency, =
he/she would be more effective in the use of technology, be able to imagine=
new uses of tech in his/her field of work, and communicate more effectivel=
y with IT about his/her uses of tech. What can we do to improve technical p=
roficiency across the entire school? How should we launch an initiative to =
better build capacity while reaffirming that IT exists to be helpful to use=
rs?

IT department structure: staff reorganization to be extremely responsive to=
individual support requests
Division visits: regularly scheduled appointments for an IT staff member to=
be present in a division
Summer training: tech classes based on a survey of faculty/staff interests
Knowledgebase: a set of self-service help articles available through a scho=
ol website

New ideas
Which would our users find most helpful? What ideas would you add to the li=
st?

* Run a student help desk (students helping others)
* Re-launch the knowledgebase, add video tutorials
* Identify and train =93super users=94 to provide peer mentoring within =
departments and divisions
* Promote =93just in time=94 training (a short, in-person training right=
when you need it)
* Encourage more peer exhibitions (show-and-tells within departments and=
divisions)
* Offer more basic skills training (Windows 7, Mac OS, Office suite)
* Encourage more use of in-application help menu
* Organize =93brown bag=94 lunches for training, sharing, and planning
* Hang posters around campus with common tech tips (e.g., =93don=92t sha=
re your password, like you wouldn=92t share a Kleenex=94)
* Conduct research internally to better understand our users and their n=
eeds
* Create internal =93user groups,=94 networks of CG employees with commo=
n tech-related interests
* [your ideas go here]

--
Richard Kassissieh
Director of Information Technology

Does your school have a directory of security?

Please cast your vote in my twitter poll which can be found here:
http://twtpoll.com/o0l072

=20

Results can also be viewed from that link.

=20

Thank you for participating.

=20

Hiram

Hiram E. Cuevas=20

Director of Academic Technology=20

St. Christopher's School=20

711 St. Christopher's Road

Richmond, VA 23226=20

804.282.3185 x5627=20

804.347.2338 cell

Re: Percentage of School Budget Directed for Technology

I found the 2007 NAIS Technology Survey very informative.
Considering the rapid rate of change with technology, does anyone know if
there are plans to conduct another NAIS technology survey any time soon?
It would be interesting and helpful to see what data points have changed
significantly since the June 2007 survey.

Dave Candelario
MICDS Director of Technology

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Re: REPLY: Basic Web design resources needed

Web Design Resources -

Is the focus on using webpages to share curriculum content or is the
focus on learning html and web design?

Using some of the web page software, even first graders can create
decent webpages without really having to know anything about webpages or
even technology. The focus is all on the curriculum, and the software
creates the pages for them.

If the focus is on webpages, do you want them to focus on design (the
non-technical part - how pages are laid out, size and type of text,
where images should do, best place to put in links, etc.) or on the
actual coding of webpages (the technical part)? If technical, do you
want them to code from scratch or use templates and be able to look at
code created by the program and change it?

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

[...]

Dave
Have a look at

'html' Tutorials and Tips
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/htmlttip/

Build a Website
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/buildw/

Dreamweaver (Adobe)
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/DreamW/

WebAuthoring Software
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/ict/webauthor/

Learning IT Skills Online
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/ITskills/

Hope helpful

Chris

Second Life: Shamblesguru Voom
Twitter: shamblesguru Skype: cthsmith
ePortfolio www.shambles.net/csmith
w-shops
www.shambles.net/csmith/workshops
Chris Smith : email: csmith@csmith.info
Personal Learning Network: www.shambles.net/csmith/pln
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/shamblesguru
Google Wave: shambles.guru@googlewave.com
Based in Thailand, working across S.E.Asia
The Education Project Asia www.shambles.net
Support for ICT across the Curriculum (consultancy)
'It's out there somewhere, the trick is finding it'
International Schools Island in Second Life
Indexing S.L. for Educators in S.L. itself
SLURL http://tinyurl.com/2o44dw

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Basic Web design resources needed

I am looking for web page resources or book titles for a basic web =
design curriculum. A ready made=20
curriculum would be great. Both online creation and free downloadable =
software will be considered.
We are on Macs, but could incorporate Windows if the need arises.
We want to learn basic web code and have students create a finished =
product.

Ideas for what realm or category to create pages would be most welcome =
also. Perhaps students
could choose a teachable page related to one of their content classes. =
If any of you have assisted
or been involved with this I would love to hear of your experience.

Thanks!

Dave Nelson
Technology Teacher
Grades 6-8
RAMSA Charter School
Mpls., MN
http://www.ramsaacademy.org/
dnelsonATramsaacademy.org

Re: Research Report: Marketing Independent Schools to Generation X and Minority Parents

NAIS members can access the report at http://www.nais.org/equity/article.c=
fm?ItemNumber=3D151362
(If you don't already have a password, you can re=
quest one on the Log-In page.)

Non-NAIS members can access the report by emailing Vivian Dandridge-Charles=
at Charles@nais.org.

Friday, March 26, 2010

March 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM wrote:
>What percentage of your overall school budget is directed to the
>technology budget?

Hi Fred and others ... I have found this topic incredibly fascinating over
the last 10 years and put together this Web page a few years ago ...
http://www.summercore.com/budget ... you may find some of the info still
relevant ... good luck with your exploration ... the variations in our
schools are so interesting ... Steve

Steve Bergen (sbergen@cstorefront.org)
CIO and Computer Teacher, The Children's Storefront
70 East 129th Street, New York, NY 10035

Please support the Storefront Billion Penny drive by going to
http://www.billionpennyproject.org/

An Independent School in Harlem
Web site: http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org
Tech Saturday Info at http://www.techsaturdays.org

also co-director, The "Summercore" Teaching Company
until the Pats go 19-0 ... http://www.summercore.com
you can "follow Summercore" by going to
http://www.twitter.com/summercore
Summercore 2010 includes June 14-18 (VA) July 12-16 (NYC) July 26-30 (FL)

Open Position

Fort Worth Country Day School has a current opening for Help Desk
support. Interested candidates should respond off list for additional
details and a complete position description.

Re: Pre-Primary Report Cards

Eleanor,
Does your Pre-Primary write a long narrative report? What we did at my old
school was use our FM database so that we had all the fields for name, etc
filled in and then had one, huge field called "narrative". Teachers just
wrote their report right in that field. Would that work for you?

Kristen Dennison

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Eleanor Brown
<eleanor.brown@pinecrest.edu>wrote:

> Our Pre-Primary division currently uses a report card handled by our SIS -
> because of the specialized, non-traditional grading structure of the
> division, they're finding the database format limiting and we're looking for
> other alternatives. What
> they'd love is, essentially, a Word document that would be archived
> electronically and in the students' hard-copy cumulative folders.
>
> Does anyone NOT use the same database or grading software report cards for
> pre-primary as for other divisions?
>
> Do you have any comments on excluding the report cards from that division
> from the SIS?
>
> Has anyone hit a sweet spot with pre-primary, early childhood, or
> non-traditional lower school report cards they'd like to share?
>
> We're grateful for any thoughts.
>
> Eleanor Brown
> Director of Technology Integration
> Pine Crest School
> eleanor.brown@pinecrest.edu
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Re: Pre-Primary Report Cards

Hi Eleanor=2C

we are using our in-house Excel template to evaluate readiness for Kinderga=
rten.

Please find attached a copy of the template.
Hope it will be helpful=2C

Olga Eidelman
Woodland School
Portola Valley=2C CA

> Date: Fri=2C 26 Mar 2010 14:20:05 -0400
> From: eleanor.brown@pinecrest.edu
> Subject: Pre-Primary Report Cards
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>=20
> Our Pre-Primary division currently uses a report card handled by our SIS =
- because of the specialized=2C non-traditional grading structure of the di=
vision=2C they're finding the database format limiting and we're looking fo=
r other alternatives. What
> they'd love is=2C essentially=2C a Word document that would be archived e=
lectronically and in the students' hard-copy cumulative folders.
>=20
> Does anyone NOT use the same database or grading software report cards fo=
r pre-primary as for other divisions?
>=20
> Do you have any comments on excluding the report cards from that division=
from the SIS?
>=20
> Has anyone hit a sweet spot with pre-primary=2C early childhood=2C or non=
-traditional lower school report cards they'd like to share?
>=20
> We're grateful for any thoughts.
>=20
> Eleanor Brown
> Director of Technology Integration
> Pine Crest School
> eleanor.brown@pinecrest.edu
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons=2C attributio=
n=2C non-commercial=2C share-alike license.
> RSS Feed=2C http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search=2C chat and e-mail from your inb=
ox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=3DPID27925::T:WLMTAGL:O=
N:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:032010_1=

Re: Percentage of School Budget Directed for Technology

I would be very interested to see this as well.

*Our Numbers*
Technology (Without Salaries): 0.65%
Technology (With Salaries): 1.63%

We are beginning our 1-to-1 Pilot Program Next Year (And our Percentages
will be in the 2%+ Range w/ Salaries). Students will be purchasing the
equipment for the 1-to1 Pilot Program.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Renee Ramig
<rramig@sevenhillsschool.org>wrote:

> Here are my numbers. This is anything that comes out of the tech
> budget. The percentages are based on the bottom line including capital
> numbers.
>

> Technology (without salaries of tech team): 2.7%
>
> Technology (with salaries of tech team): 5.9%

Matthew Vore
Director of Educational Technology
Missouri Military Academy
573.581.1776

Pre-Primary Report Cards

[...]

UNSUBSCRIBE

The Daily Find: March 26, 2010

Well, it has been a while since I have posted The Daily Find (TDF) to the c=
ommunity. Such is life on spring break and the craziness of conducting a 3 =
three hour workshop and a concurrent session at a conference. Now I am in t=
he middle of trying to get caught up. However, this morning seemed like a g=
reat time to do a little PD and I wanted to share what our community of blo=
ggers has been writing over the past two weeks....

http://naisac10.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/the-daily-find-march-26-2010/

I hope you enjoy!

Chris Bigenho
Director of Educational Technology
Greenhill School
4141 Spring Valley Road
Addison, TX 75001
Ph. 972-628-5479
Fx. 972-628-5279
bigenhoc@greenhill.org<mailto:bigenhoc@greenhill.org>
www.greenhill.org<http://www.greenhill.org>

Blog: http://bigenhoc.wordpress.com/
Twitter: bigenhoc
AIM: chris bigenho
Yahoo: chris_bigenho
Skype: chris_bigenho
Tapped In: ChrisWB
Delicious: http://delicious.com/bigenhoc
Diigo:bigenhoc

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Re: Flip Cameras on PC Network

Greetings all!

We have had similar problems with Movie Maker and Flip video clips, so
the work-around of (my) choice is to add the AVI files in Any Video
Converter, convert to WMV, then bring into Movie Maker. With Windows 7,
I'm now using Windows Live Movie Maker which tolerates a wider range of
video formats including mp4 and avi. We'll see if we have problems this
summer when we roll out 150 new laptops with Windows 7 and see if the
Flips talk to this new version of Movie Maker. I'll miss Photo Story 3,
but Windows Live MM has some nice features, ex. Ribbon with contextual
tabs similar to PowerPoint, AutoMovie, some video editing. Nothing
compared to iMovie, however.

Hope this helps!

-C.D.