Saturday, January 31, 2009

Re: AP US History Taught Over 2 Years

I briefly answered directly=2C but wanted to simply mention here that we=2C=
too=2C felt that even 1 year was too short to cover the "basics" and have =
developed a 3 semester world and 3 semester US history class. The kids love=
it... more in depth=2C builds upon previous course work=2C etc.
=20
Goes something like this: 9th grade fall - World I (ancient stuff)=3B 9th g=
rade spring - World II (Renaissance/Reformation)=3B 10th grade fall - World=
III (modern world)=3B 10th grade spring - US I (Colonization=2C etc.)=3B 1=
1th grade fall - US II (Civil War era=2C etc.)=3B 11th grade spring - US II=
I (US in the modern era).
=20
(Realize that 8th grade is a geography survey and 12th grade ends with gove=
rnment and economics)
=20
> Date: Sat=2C 31 Jan 2009 16:22:05 -0500> From: keith@gatling.us> Subject:=
Re: AP US History Taught Over 2 Years> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> > Whil=
e I understand the increasing desire to hear "other voices" in the 34> sinc=
e I was a high school kid in NJ=2C and had to deal with the two-year US> Hi=
story requirement=2C there is something to be said for spending a lot of> t=
ime learning about "your own family" before you learn about the people down=
> the street or across town (more on that later). And as for the person who=
> wondered what on earth you needed two years to do this in when college> s=
tudents could do it in one semester=2C my answer is very simple: You need t=
wo> years to do this in a leisurely high school manner with lots of high sc=
hool> type projects=2C trips=2C and diversions. If the goal is to pack as m=
uch> American History into as little time as possible=2C then just give the=
m an> iPod packed with a month's worth of stuff. It'll be crammed in one ea=
r and> pushed out the other in no time. Two years seems just right to me fo=
r> planting the broad foundation needed to successfully tackle those> one-s=
emester college courses. It also seems just the right thing for> beginning =
a possible lifelong love of history - US or otherwise.> > Come on folks=2C =
we're talking from 1620 to the present day. That's almost 500> years of his=
tory that you say we can condense down to one semester. I doubt> it. I susp=
ect that those one-semester college wonders are looking at a> specific issu=
e or a specific era. Not the entire 500 year ball of wax.> > Now=2C let me =
talk about "the family." I've come to conclude that where the> history of y=
our country is concerned=2C or at least where American history is> concerne=
d=2C it's like genealogy. It's all about *us*. It's all about how we> got t=
o be us. It's all about how the different threads got woven together=2C> so=
metimes artfully and sometimes not=2C to create the tapestry that is this> =
country. In the end it's about how people in the past got together=2C for> =
better or worse=2C to create the people we are now. And that might just tak=
e> two years.> > Yeah=2C other voices are nice too. I represent one of thos=
e other voices=3B but> I don't think that the desire to acknowledge the "ot=
her voices" should mean> that less time is spent on the whole choir. Indeed=
=2C I believe that if we're> really looking at this genealogically=2C we ha=
ve to talk about each of those> other voices as they enter the picture=2C a=
nd see how they influenced the> mainstream=2C and how mainstream decisions =
toward those voices led to certain> events and situations later on that eve=
ryone would regret. But don't draw> them out as separate items. Not in high=
school. That's not the place for> such specialization as "African-American=
s in US History=2C" "Irish in US> History=2C" "Native Americans in US Histo=
ry=2C" or "Germans in US History." And> yet=2C how much though has anyone r=
eally given to the Germans in US history.> I'm betting that most of you are=
thinking=2C "Germans=2C Scots=2C Brits=2C just> another subset of the domi=
nant white people." But perhaps a closer look will> show that it ain't nece=
ssarily so.> > My wife=2C who is of German ancestry said that when she want=
ed to find out> more about Germans in US history=2C she had to go to the li=
brary herself.> There was no German History Month=2C there was no bulletin =
board devoted to> famous Germans=2C there was no "Other Voices" class devot=
ed to the Germans.> And certainly=2C no one talked about the anti-German pr=
opaganda during both> world wars=2C or the fact that Germans had been sent =
to "relocation camps"> just like the Japanese. I'm sure that my Italian bro=
ther-in-law will say the> same thing about having to find out about famous =
Italians as a group on his> own time.> > I say let the "other voices" be pa=
rt of a two-year course on US history that> looks at the entire choir.> > >=
On Sat=2C Jan 31=2C 2009 at 12:14 PM=2C Knies=2C Don <Dknies@statenislanda=
cademy.org> > wrote:> > > I wondered that too. It seems that a two year loc=
k in to one course with> > the same students loses some opportunity for oth=
er perspectives and other> > focuses. (I refuse to use the word foci=2C in =
this context)> >> > [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]> S=
ubmissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons=2C attribution=
=2C non-commercial=2C share-alike license.> RSS Feed=2C http://listserv.syr=
.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L
Windows Live=99 Hotmail=AE=85more than just e-mail.=20
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_h=
owitworks_012009=

Re: AP US History Taught Over 2 Years

While I understand the increasing desire to hear "other voices" in the 34
since I was a high school kid in NJ, and had to deal with the two-year US
History requirement, there is something to be said for spending a lot of
time learning about "your own family" before you learn about the people down
the street or across town (more on that later). And as for the person who
wondered what on earth you needed two years to do this in when college
students could do it in one semester, my answer is very simple: You need two
years to do this in a leisurely high school manner with lots of high school
type projects, trips, and diversions. If the goal is to pack as much
American History into as little time as possible, then just give them an
iPod packed with a month's worth of stuff. It'll be crammed in one ear and
pushed out the other in no time. Two years seems just right to me for
planting the broad foundation needed to successfully tackle those
one-semester college courses. It also seems just the right thing for
beginning a possible lifelong love of history - US or otherwise.

Come on folks, we're talking from 1620 to the present day. That's almost 500
years of history that you say we can condense down to one semester. I doubt
it. I suspect that those one-semester college wonders are looking at a
specific issue or a specific era. Not the entire 500 year ball of wax.

Now, let me talk about "the family." I've come to conclude that where the
history of your country is concerned, or at least where American history is
concerned, it's like genealogy. It's all about *us*. It's all about how we
got to be us. It's all about how the different threads got woven together,
sometimes artfully and sometimes not, to create the tapestry that is this
country. In the end it's about how people in the past got together, for
better or worse, to create the people we are now. And that might just take
two years.

Yeah, other voices are nice too. I represent one of those other voices; but
I don't think that the desire to acknowledge the "other voices" should mean
that less time is spent on the whole choir. Indeed, I believe that if we're
really looking at this genealogically, we have to talk about each of those
other voices as they enter the picture, and see how they influenced the
mainstream, and how mainstream decisions toward those voices led to certain
events and situations later on that everyone would regret. But don't draw
them out as separate items. Not in high school. That's not the place for
such specialization as "African-Americans in US History," "Irish in US
History," "Native Americans in US History," or "Germans in US History." And
yet, how much though has anyone really given to the Germans in US history.
I'm betting that most of you are thinking, "Germans, Scots, Brits, just
another subset of the dominant white people." But perhaps a closer look will
show that it ain't necessarily so.

My wife, who is of German ancestry said that when she wanted to find out
more about Germans in US history, she had to go to the library herself.
There was no German History Month, there was no bulletin board devoted to
famous Germans, there was no "Other Voices" class devoted to the Germans.
And certainly, no one talked about the anti-German propaganda during both
world wars, or the fact that Germans had been sent to "relocation camps"

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Knies, Don <Dknies@statenislandacademy.org

Friday, January 30, 2009

Re: AP US History Taught Over 2 Years

How do you all justify taking two years, 5 days a week to cover what a=
college student does in one semester, 3 days a week, sometimes with a=
recitation......
=20
Norman

________________________________

------
[4]
http://webmail2.agoc.com/parse.php?redirect=3Dhttp://www.popejohn.org
[5]
http://webmail2.agoc.com/parse.php?redirect=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.gds.org%2=
FISED-L

[6]
http://webmail2.agoc.com/parse.php?redirect=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Flistserv.syr.=
edu%2Fscripts%2Fwa.exe%3FRSS%26L%3DISED-L

[7]
http://webmail2.agoc.com/parse.php?redirect=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.gds.org%2=
FISED-L

[8]
http://webmail2.agoc.com/parse.php?redirect=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Flistserv.syr.=
edu%2Fscripts%2Fwa.exe%3FRSS%26L%3DISED-L

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution=
, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: AP US History Taught Over 2 Years

What has worked here is an American History required course taught to tenth=
graders, and then the AP history for eleventh grader/ twelfth graders as a=
choice, and taught at a more in depth level. Two years of a required cour=
se in US History (at AP level or any level) would take up one half of the h=
istory options in high school, in an age when other histories and other voi=
ces in history are so much needed.

AnthonyCelentano@PopeJohn.org
www.popejohn.org

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: AP US History Taught Over 2 Years

=20

We teach the AP Lit and Composition over a two year period and then
students take the exam. =20

Gloria Kerin, Principal=20

Champion Christian High School, Donegal, PA
On Fri 01/30/09 8:49 AM , Paula Boeglin PBoeglin@Mizzentop.org sent:
I can only tell you that my 11th grader in the Pawling Central
School
District (NY) is taking the course in one year and will sit for the
exam in
June. Definitely a lot of work, but doable.
Paula Boeglin=20
Computer Teacher/Technology Coordinator=20
Mizzentop Day School=20
(845)855-7338 ext. 212
Yesterday at a department meeting it was mentioned that many of they
schools
in our area teach AP US History over a 2 year period (NJ has a 2
year US
History graduation requirement). The students sit for the AP exam at
the
end of the 2nd year.
This is the first that I had heard of this so I thought I would
check with
the list. If you have AP US History at your school is it taught in
one or
two years?
Thanks for your input.
Anthony=20
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Anthony Celentano, MM, MA, LPC
Director of Academic Computing Services=20

Thursday, January 29, 2009

NCAIS TECH 2009; 21st Century Learning and the Rebirth of Education

NORTH CAROLINA ASSOCIATION OF INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS

=20

NCAIS and the Commission for Technology would like to extend an open
invitation to all interested educators=20

to attend NCAIS TECH 2009 on Thursday, March 26th, 2009 @ Providence Day
School (Charlotte, NC)

Keynote Presenter: Ian Jukes <http://www.ianjukes.com> , Educational
Futurist

Click here <http://ncaistech.wikispaces.com/NCAISTECH2009> to learn
more about the conference.

Click here <http://ncaistech.wikispaces.com/2009+-+Topic+Suggestions>
to share your expertise and experience as a presenter.

Click here <http://www.ncais.org/events_current_indiv.asp?event=3D65> to=

register for the conference.

Please share this information with members of your school community and
anyone else you think

might be interested in joining us for a day of sharing, thinking, and
learning.

----------------

=20

Please excuse the cross postings to ISENET, ISED, ACCESS, and MISBO

#########################################################################=
#################################
This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for u=
se by the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed and should not be disseminated without =
permission. No confidentiality
or privilege is waived by any mistransmission. If you have received this =
email in error, please delete
it and all copies of it from your system immediately. You must not, direc=
tly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the in=
tended recipient. Any views or
opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily =
represent those of Ravenscroft.

Note: This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal SMT=
P. Ravenscroft=20
accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses transmitted by this=
=20email. In addition,=20
Ravenscroft reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications throu=
gh its networks.
#########################################################################=
#################################

ISED: Register now for discounted seminars!

Dear educators,
Openings are still available for our spring seminars in the Seminars for
Teachers program at the University of Maryland! All educators in the DC
metropolitan area are invited to participate in the following seminars:

-Religions of America, Religions of the World (February 26 and March 12)
-Healthy Youth: An Introduction to Public Health in the Classroom (March 25)
-Tolkien and War (March 26 and April 2)
-Bats and Biology (April 16 and April 30)
-Teaching History with Hollywood's Films (April 23)

Visit our website for descriptions and dates of each seminar:
http://www.arhu.umd.edu/outreach/sft

Register now and take advantage of our special spring discounted rate
(ONLY $100 per seminar)!
Contact cmaclean@umd.edu.

Regards,
Cheryl

--
Cheryl G. MacLean
Coordinator

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Re: email hosting
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Re: email hosting

We are using G-mail for the school... it is awesome...and free.
Jeanne Rice
Southern Ct Hebrew Academy

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Jeanne Robb <jrobb@harborday.org> wrote:

> We need to switch email hosting companies. Have been using Island Email f=
or
> the last few years but because of continued problems =AD it is time to ma=
ke a
> change. Is anyone using a company that they are happy with? We would hav=
> 70-75 accounts.
>
> --
> Jeanne Robb
> Director of Technology
> Harbor Day School
> 3443 Pacific View Drive
> Corona del Mar, CA 92625
> (949) 640-1410

Re: lower school laptops

Hi,

We have our Lower School student use the MacBooks. They have been wonderfu=
because students are able to create podcast, movies, and music on the
laptops. They are able to combined all forms of media and use it as a
presentation materials to talk about their subject.

If you mix the MacBooks with JAMF Casper Suite (Mac management), you will
have a sweet time getting everything ready by the summer. We just started
to use JAMF Casper this past summer, and it helped our school deploy Macs
quicker and easier.

A few things to think about:
- Laptop carts does not negate the need for a computer lab. It just change=
the nature how we use it.
- Security policy for laptops. Who can borrow, where they can go, who is
responsible, where to store the cart, etc.
- Our Apple reps gives free workshops to our teachers on how to use the Mac=
in education. Free onsite tutorial on iMovie, Garageband, etc.

If you like to talk to one of our lower school teachers, I can hook you up
with one. Let me know.

Brian

On 1/28/09 9:37 AM, "Zaubi, Phil" <Phil.Zaubi@portergaud.edu> wrote:

> Good morning everyone,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Next year, we are eliminating our lower school computer lab and are movin=
> toward a laptop cart for each grade (1-5). We currently are in the proces=
s of
> getting hardware and software quotes as well as working with our teachers=
> get lessons mapped out that tie into our curriculum.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> To help answer some questions that we have, we=B9re looking for any schools
> which already use laptops in their lower school who would be willing to t=
alk
> to me and our lower school computer teacher/integrator about what works a=
nd
> what doesn=B9t work in this environment. I know that all schools are differ=
ent
> and what works in one might not work in another, but I=B9m trying to get ou=
r LS
> comp teacher as much information as possible to help easy any worries and=
/or
> concerns.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for your time
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Phil
>=20
>=20
>=20
> _____________________________________
>=20
> Phil Zaubi
>=20
> Director of Academic Technology
>=20
> Porter-Gaud School
>=20
> Charleston, Sc
>=20
> 843.402.4711
>=20
> http://www.portergaud.edu
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Re: lower school laptops

Check out this cool tool to help you teach and manage the networked
classroom....They have a free demo...

www.eduplatform.net

Giovanni Paoli, M.Ed.
Educational Consultant
San Juan, PR

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Re: Question: istopmotion

I'm not on campus Tuesday, Jan. 27th. Will return on Wednesday.

Monday, January 26, 2009

University School--Biology Opening

University School, an independent boys' day school on two campuses in
Cleveland, Ohio, is seeking an Upper School biology teacher for a unique
faculty position for the 2009-10 school year. =20

=20

University School's Upper Campus sits on 221 wooded acres and is home to
a student-run trout hatchery and maple sugaring operation as well as an
astronomical observatory. Science classes do field work on the campus
and study the lifecycle of the trout, and students from our Lower Campus
spend much of the year building a full-sized birch bark canoe and then
sail it on the Upper Campuses lake.

=20

The ideal candidate for our biology position has experience teaching on
the high school or college level, an advanced degree in biology, and a
strong interest in eventually becoming the steward of our outdoor
programs. To learn more about University School, please visit
www.us.edu <http://www.us.edu/> , and to learn more about our outdoor
programs, please clink on the link "beyond the classroom."

=20

Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, transcripts,
and references to:

=20

Bill O'Neil

Dean of Students

University School

2785 SOM Center Rd.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022

Fax: 216-292-7810

woneil@us.edu

Re: Question: istopmotion

That's OK. See you tonight! Annette

Jane Boynton wrote:

>Sorry - I meant to send to sender only. Jane

Campus Manager, Aruba and Windows Pre-Login

We recently installed an Aruba managed wireless system and we're having
issues.

Ideally we'd like to have our sets of lab cart laptops be able to
connect to the wireless network and have our students log onto our
Windows domain and get all their resources - whether they've logged
onto that laptop before or not. (We have several Lenovo laptops
models)

Is anyone using CM/Aruba/Windows and having success with this? If so,
please let me know what things you've done to make things work
together, the things we should look out for. Any recommendations for
a consulting firm that has experience with CM and Aruba would be
greatly appreciated too. We're just south of Boston.

Thanks,

Kendall

Re: Question: istopmotion

I've never found anything else any better. Great program.
On Jan 26, 2009, at 7:46 AM, Deb Cusack wrote:

> I already posted to Wizards with no responses, anyone @ ISED
> listserv have
> experience with istopmotion?
> Thanks!
>
> Questions:
> Has anyone used istopmotion? If so, how was your experience with it?
> Does anyone know of a good place to buy it?
> Is there a better stop animation program for a claymation art project?
> Thanks!
> Deb
>
> Debra Cusack
> Director of Instructional Technology
> The Gordon School
> dcusack@gordonschool.org
> 401.434.3833

Re: Question: istopmotion

I have never used iStopMotin, but am wondering how it is any different
from using iMovie. I have done stop motion animation many times with
iMovie and it is even easier now since iPhoto and the integration
across media. This is also a very goo use of iMovie 8, if you dumb
sequenced photos into the footagr. Add a title, narrate and your
done!. You can even create really great silent movies.

Lisa Douthit
Notre Dame de Sion - Kansas City

On Jan 26, 2009, at 9:35 AM, Jane Boynton wrote:

> Sorry - I meant to send to sender only. Jane

We have used it for about a year. The software was part of a package of
software that we purchased from MacWorld offers last year (Jan '08) and
have upgraded to the newer version since then. For claymation type videos
on a Mac we haven't found a better program. We got the upgrade through
the publisher and they do have educational pricing.

Joe

Joe A. Flowers
Director of Technology
Vanguard College Preparatory School
2517 Mt. Carmel
Waco, Texas 76710
School - (254) 772-8111
Fax - (254) 772-8263
Cell - (254) 722-7446
Joe_Flowers@vanguard.org

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>I already posted to Wizards with no responses, anyone @ ISED listserv have
>experience with istopmotion?
>Thanks!
>
>Questions:
>Has anyone used istopmotion? If so, how was your experience with it?
>Does anyone know of a good place to buy it?
>Is there a better stop animation program for a claymation art project?
>Thanks!
>Deb
>
>Debra Cusack
>Director of Instructional Technology
>The Gordon School
>dcusack@gordonschool.org
>401.434.3833
>

>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
>non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

Re: Question: istopmotion

I just saw a fabulous project a 5th grade student did with it. He used
iStopmotion on his Mac with a video camera to take the photos. The 6
minute claymation required over 4,000 photos! Besides that, he found it
very easy to use and the results show what a success it was.

Jenni Voorhees, Sidwell Friends

Has anyone used istopmotion? If so, how was your experience with it?
Does anyone know of a good place to buy it?
Is there a better stop animation program for a claymation art project?
Thanks!
Deb

Debra Cusack
Director of Instructional Technology
The Gordon School
dcusack@gordonschool.org
401.434.3833

Re: ISED: Shopping for Professional Development tracking s/w

Hi Aeronia et al,

Glad this was helpful. No, I don't know of any NAIS schools using PD-Tracke=
r, but I bet if you asked the guy, he'd provide references. Here's the ning=
link again: http://tinyurl.com/5o4uvy. At $125/year (and a 60 day free tri=
al) it seems very reasonably priced for individual schools, but I'm all for=
the power of consortium purchasing and consortium collaboration. I don't t=
hink this software includes tools for collaboration, but it would be intere=
sting to see if social networking technology (both within individual school=
s and between schools) could contribute to creating enthusiasm for professi=
onal development events. Perhaps the software developer could consider this=
.

I like the way ning shows what events are upcoming, and who is going: http=
://isenet.ning.com/events/event/listUpcoming. You can also message attendee=
s and comment on event pages, but can't yet rate events. I'd love to see th=
is kind of functionality in PD Tracker.=20
Btw, the SLA EDUcon 2.0 event virtual sessions this past weekend were pheno=
menal. I think some of them may be archived. It's this type of e

Regarding consortium purchasing, I continue to think there is opportunity f=
or our schools, especially with big ticket items like computers, site licen=
sing for software, and expensive guest speakers. It seems like there would =
be benefit from putting our purchasing power together on this. In the past =
when we've discussed it, it seems like purchasing cycles and individual sch=
ools' requirements have been stumbling blocks, but perhaps in these leaner =
economic times there would be renewed energy to explore possibilities.

Thanks,
Demetri

Demetri Orlando
Battle Ground Academy
Franklin, TN
http://isenet.ning.com

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:26:40 -0500
From: "Poole, Aeronia" <apoole@MADEIRA.org>
Subject: Re: ISED: Shopping for Professional Development tracking s/w

Demetri, this is golden information. This looks like what we can use =3D a=
lso--do you know any US NAIS schools testing/using it? I spoke with =3D an=
other independent and she is interested in perhaps forming a =3D consortium=
that can share use of a package.

Thanks

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:45:00 -0500
From: "Poole, Aeronia" <apoole@MADEIRA.org>

What means do some independent schools use to enroll in and/or track
professional development courses? My former public school district used
"MyLearningPlan", but the district was huge. I need something for an
individual campus. Any suggestions? Thx.
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Re: Drawing Programmes (Programs)

RE: Drawing Programmes (Programs)

Spoilt for choice .... many web 2.0 options ... many with collaborative
tools built in.

Lists at

http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/artdesign/drawing/

http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/cartoons/

http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/ImageM/

.. and while I'm here

Best Wishes for Chinese New Year to everyone

Chris

Shambles listed in top ten websites by (UK)
Teachers TV http://www.teachers.tv/video/4946

Second Life: Shamblesguru Voom
Twitter: shamblesguru Skype: cthsmith
ePortfolio www.shambles.net/csmith
w-shops
www.shambles.net/csmith/workshops
Chris Smith : email: csmith@csmith.info
Personal Learning Network: www.shambles.net/csmith/pln
Based in Thailand, working across S.E.Asia
The Education Project Asia www.shambles.net
Support for ICT across the Curriculum (consultancy)
'It's out there somewhere, the trick is finding it'
International Schools Island in Second Life
Indexing S.L. for Educators in S.L. itself
SLURL http://tinyurl.com/2o44dw

------------------------------

Friday, January 23, 2009

ISED: Shopping for Professional Development tracking s/w

What means do some independent schools use to enroll in and/or track
professional development courses? My former public school district used
"MyLearningPlan", but the district was huge. I need something for an
individual campus. Any suggestions? Thx.

Aeronia L. Poole
Educational Technology Specialist
& Network Administrator
Department of Technology