Friday, October 31, 2008

Re: ISED - bandwidth

I also use Ntop, which is open source. http://www.ntop.org
It gives you a very detailed view of traffic on your network, allowing you =
to track throughput per IP and per protocol. However, it's quite a bit har=
der to set up than MRTG.

Besides bandwidth, a few things I use MRTG to graph are:
# of open files on the file server
# of nat translations on the router
Server room temperature (via apc monitoring box)
Ping response time from google

If the data you want to graph isn't accessible via SNMP, you can even write=
a little perl script that will grab the data and pass it to MRTG in the co=
rrect format.

Peter Lindberg
Collegiate School
Network Administrator

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Re: royalty free songs or jingles

Open licensing is your friend -- the sites below contain a slew of music released under an open license, and you can also open the door to conversations about less restrictive licensing terms than those generally advocated by the RIAA.

http://www.archive.org/details/audio
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Music_Podcasts
http://creativecommons.org/audio/
http://ccmixter.org/

Cheers,

Bill

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Re: faculty use of social networking sites

This is in our faculty/staff handbook:

Faculty and staff members are only to interact online with students in
school-sponsored "spaces." Interactions on CourseWeb, Hewitt e-mail, and
other Hewitt-sponsored online spaces are appropriate, while interactions
via commercial sites such as Facebook, MySpace, etc, are not. If a
faculty or staff member is contacted by a student via non-Hewitt
channels, the corresponding division head should be notified.

Let me know if you have questions on how we got there,
arvind

arvind s grover
Director of Technology
The Hewitt School
45 East 75th St
New York, NY 10021
T. (212) 994-2613
F. (212) 639-9366
E. agrover@hewittschool.org
W. www.hewittschool.org

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Re: Conference Scheduling Software

We have been using Virtual Paragon and have been pleased with the
system.=20

Rahel Rosner
Chief Operating Officer
Solomon Schechter School of Westchester

We have been using Virtual Paragon for our parent/teacher scheduling
with
good results.=20

Joe Lennertz
Academic Dean
Wayland Academy
Beaver Dam WI=20

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for conference scheduling software for a school of
> approximately 1200 students that conduct conferences of differing
> lengths in three different divisions simultaneously. Any
> recommendations?
>
> Nikki Lucyk
> University School of Milwaukee Portal Coordinator & Lower School
> Academic Technology Coordinator
> 2100 W Fairy Chasm Rd.
> Milwaukee, WI 53217
> (414)540-3159

attribution,

--=20
------------------------------
Vinnie Vrotny
Blog - Multi-Faceted Refractions
(vvrotny.org)

attribution,
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Conference Scheduling Software

We are using Virtual Paragon. Slightly less expensive than GraphSys and are
pretty happy with it. However, in the interest of saving money, we have
begun talks with PTC another provider that some of our faculty use at their
children's schools.

http://www.ptcwizard.com/ for PTC
http://www.virtualparagon.com/ Virtual Paragon

Hope this helps.