Monday, June 30, 2008

MUSIC: DISCUSSION GROUPS : TRANSPORTATION: PUBLIC URBAN AND PASSENGER: Music Librarians Can Be Wheel Fun OR How to Train a Music Librarian

The impact of the rising prices of oil and the impact of oil on climate change
and global warming is widespread and even reaches places where musical scores
and cataloging operatic masterpieces usually dominate the conversation with
topics like these:

Digitizing sheet music...the copyright issue

Grove Music / OMO

EMI Classics redux

Dead Man Walking CD libretto

novice question: borrowing full orchestral scores?

streaming "public domain"

Worldcat and false information?

Nevertheless:

MUSIC: DISCUSSION GROUPS :
TRANSPORTATION: PUBLIC URBAN AND PASSENGER: Music Librarians Can Be Wheel Fun
OR How to Train a Music Librarian

Quoting:

"Of course rail fares will go up, but it's unlikely they will go up as much,
nor at the same rate. The amount of weight that a train can haul per dollar is
currently several times higher than that of any aircraft or truck, and that's
not going to change as the price of fuel for all forms of transporation rises.
Now is probably a very good time to be investing in railroads."

See http://tinyurl.com/6l84af

Source: MLA-L Archives
Re: trains, planes, and automobiles
<https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A1=ind0806E&L=MLA-L>

More posts in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/3kgmzd

More from the same thread:

<http://tinyurl.com/5yttuu>

<http://tinyurl.com/4swpmd>

<http://tinyurl.com/4zynyd>

<http://tinyurl.com/46dr55>

<https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?
A2=ind0806E&L=MLA-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=12678>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://tinyurl.com/4q6mjf>

Perhaps a bit of the light rail to go with the light opera.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu
<http://daviddillard.businesscard2.com>
Net-Gold
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
<http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
<http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en>
<http://net-gold.jiglu.com/>
General Internet & Print Resources
<http://guides.temple.edu/general-internet>
<http://guides.temple.edu/general-country-info>
<http://guides.temple.edu/tourism>
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
Educator-Gold
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>
K12ADMINLIFE
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K12AdminLIFE/>
Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
<http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o>
Net-Gold Membership Required to View Photos

Reporting Spam WAS: Re: ISTE's National Educational Computing Conference NECC

To report a gmail account being used for spam, go to http://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=abuse_phishing

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, Quicker Information <quickerinformation@gmail.com> wrote:

yadda yadda yadda

Asus Eee PC

We are moving away from having a lab next year since every grade (2nd -
8th) used laptops last year rather than coming to the lab. =20

So, I need a laptop solution for my K-1 grades. We are primarily a PC
school, but we still have Macbooks in 2nd and 3rd (and I am learning
strongly towards staying Mac in these grades).

Has anyone tried the Asus Eee PC? Is there enough open source / linux
stuff and online resources available for the K-1 market to make this
type of PC workable? Have you had any problems with the 7" screen when
accessing websites?

If you use other laptops in your K-1 classroom, please share your
successes.

Thanks,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

Re: ISTE's National Educational Computing Conference NECC

Obama's shocking interview on ABC

An Ounce of Prevention: for Obama.

(202) 224-2854 (312) 886-3506 Toll free: (866) 445-2520 Toll free
for Illinois Only (217) 492-5089 (618) 997-2402 (309)736-

1217

As Bill Clinton taxed Social Security, please call and tell Obama not
to tax medicare and medicaid benefits, and not to

discontinue student loans.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Brown, Jill <BROWNJ@aa.edu> wrote:
> Remember if you are currently at ISTE's NECC in San Antonio, join us at the Independent Schools Birds-of-a-Feather, tomorrow-- Tuesday --Room 102 A from 4:45-5:45.
>
> If you are not able to join us in person, you can still 'join' us through pod casts, a online community, blogging, handouts, and other resources updated throughout the conference http://center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2008/
>
> Jill Brown

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

ISTE's National Educational Computing Conference NECC

Remember if you are currently at ISTE's NECC in San Antonio, join us at =
the Independent Schools Birds-of-a-Feather, tomorrow-- Tuesday --Room =
102 A from 4:45-5:45.
=20
If you are not able to join us in person, you can still 'join' us =
through pod casts, a online community, blogging, handouts, and other =
resources updated throughout the conference =
http://center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2008/
=20
Jill Brown

Re: Social web and marketing your school

Thanks, Bill,

I especially appreciate the admonition that we should all look at "why" we are using the social web before jumping in. I will contact you off-list.

For those on the list and interested in this topic, this article is for Independent School Magazine and is slated for the winter 09 issue I believe. Keeping this thread public will help us all hear from many on this topic but I will have additional
resources in the article so be looking for it as well!

Lorrie

dwfitzgerald@yahoo.com writes:
>Hello, Lorrie,
>
>I did a presentation on this at CASE/NAIS in January, 2007 -- my presentation powerpoint is at available on the OpenAcademic blog at http://openacademic.org/news/cold-day-philadelphia -- the presentation is licensed under a Creative Commons NC license.
>
>In my presentation, I referred to the blog of Clayton Wilcox as a both a sign of what can go wrong, and as a sign of what can go right. Clayton Wilcox's blog is no longer available at its original url, but thanks to the internet archive you can still
>finmd selected posts, such as the last post he made before closing his blog.
>
>http://web.archive.org/web/20060615151710/http://www.sptimesphotos.com/blogs/classroom/2006/05/end-of-blog-site.html
>
>Strictly by comment count, his blog was wildly successful. However, his blog also offers a case study in troll management.
>
>In a later presentation on this topic (that I gave last year at a regional CASE conference in Vegas) I had the pleasure of showing the MySpace pages of Kaplan Test Prep at http://www.myspace.com/kaplan, and my personal favorite, the MySpace page for the
>ICherry Hill Kaplan center: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=156155336
>
>One of the things I always try and reinforce with schools as they consider using MySpace/Facebook/SN du jour is that an online mistake is forever. Use the social web, but before you get in, make sure you know *why* you are using the social web.
>
>I'd love to see a copy of this article when it comes out, and I'd also love to hear more about the work you inquire about in questions 1-5 -- any way we could keep this thread public?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill

Lorrie Jackson
Director of Communications and Marketing
Lausanne Collegiate School
1381 West Massey Road
Memphis, TN 38120
ljackson@lausanneschool.com
901-474-1003
http://www.lausanneschool.com
skype - Lorrie Jackson

Re: PRIVACY : INTERNET: Privacy on the Web: Is It a Losing Battle? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

What a nice thing to ponder for the summer especially when you consider
the level of privacy schools allow to students. The primary difference
with the small town is that because privacy was not necessarily a
choice, a variety of social norms evolved around how the "private"
information was used and these norms were enforced by the community. For
example, the lady at Dunkin Donuts knows my name and that I purchase two
coffees every morning, but that is all. If she were to begin asking
questions about me, my marital status, book preferences, etc. this would
likely get back to me in a small town or it would be noted by others and
she would be treated as a gossip which have special handling rules in
small towns.

The difficulty today is that social norms are insufficient to regulate
privacy on the internet. They can in specific communities (e.g. getting
banned from a message board) but that is a very imperfect system. This
is compounded by the fact that anonymity is often believed to be
security when it is not. Finally, we tend to believe what we want to
when we are told our information is "protected" without really examining
the details or planning for failure. So, while we may not mind that a
lot of previously "private" information is available about us (e.g. my
Amazon wish list) we also tend to be pretty unconscious about the risks.
And that is just with the information we make available about ourselves.

Corporations in particular collect information on us to serve us
better/market to us better. This is not inherently a bad thing. I like
that Netflix recommends movies to me but I only want to provide them
with very specific information that serves me and I am very careful not
give them information that could only serve them (e.g. my phone number
to Radio Shack). I would not want to lose the ability to regulate that
commercial interaction.

In one way the small town analogy is a good one. We identify different
entities and assign them a risk/trust level. I would tell the gossip
one thing, the trusted friend another. I would close my blinds for
certain activities and not for others. But right now, the only
community enforcement we have is to opt out of the community. I don't
think it is losing battle, I just think that the focus is too often on
the opt-out and not enough on clarifying the norms and finding ways of
enforcing them. =20

And for those of us who like a little self reflection, consider Cory
Doctorow's, "Little Brother" for your summer reading list and the way we
look at student's privacy:
http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

The premise is, in part, how we monitor students in school, what that
accomplishes, and how it would work if that level of surveillance was
applied to the entire country.

_J

___________________________________

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net
jason.p.johnson2@us.army.mil=20

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

Re: Social web and marketing your school

Hello, Lorrie,

I did a presentation on this at CASE/NAIS in January, 2007 -- my presentation powerpoint is at available on the OpenAcademic blog at http://openacademic.org/news/cold-day-philadelphia -- the presentation is licensed under a Creative Commons NC license.

In my presentation, I referred to the blog of Clayton Wilcox as a both a sign of what can go wrong, and as a sign of what can go right. Clayton Wilcox's blog is no longer available at its original url, but thanks to the internet archive you can still find selected posts, such as the last post he made before closing his blog.

In a later presentation on this topic (that I gave last year at a regional CASE conference in Vegas) I had the pleasure of showing the MySpace pages of Kaplan Test Prep at http://www.myspace.com/kaplan, and my personal favorite, the MySpace page for the Cherry Hill Kaplan center: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=156155336

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Re: PRIVACY : INTERNET: Privacy on the Web: Is It a Losing Battle?

Re: PRIVACY : INTERNET: Privacy on the Web: Is It a Losing Battle?

I am at a conference on Monday, June 30. I will reply to all messages on
Tuesday, July 1. Thanks very much!

Published: June 25, 2008 in Knowledge@Wharton

[...]

Hello!

I'm working on a magazine article on the use of social media in school marketing/communications and looking for substantive examples from independent schools and higher ed institutions. This could include:

1. schools who have implemented online tools where prospective families (esp. students themselves) interact with current families.

2. schools who have abandoned or decreased emphasis on traditional print publications like the viewbook or alumni magazine in lieu of online alternatives

3. successful use of FaceBook, MySpace, etc. presence by the school (a fan page, for example).

4. schools where the debate between controlling the school's brand and giving constituents more of a public voice has had some intriguing consequences.

5. ad campaigns where a shift in money from traditional print ads to online options - Google adwords, for example - have made a tangible difference.

6. and places where social media tools have not been successful: a headmaster blog that was sabotaged and had to be taken offline. Or schools that have investigated more of a social media presence but have determined that traditional marketing techniques
are more effective for their mission and audience.

If this sounds like your institution, I'd like to hear from you. Please respond off-list.

Lorrie

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Re: Kerio Mail server

I have had tremendous success with Kerio over the years in mixed
environments in the corporate world. Really solid product.

Jonathan Mergy <jmergy@lwhs.org>
Director Of Technology
Lick-Wilmerding High School
755 Ocean Ave, SF CA 94112
P:415.333.4021 F:415.586.0737

On 6/28/08 9:09 AM, "Bill Griscom" <griscomb@e-lcds.org> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone was using Kerio mail server. If so, what are your
> thoughts on it? Positives and negatives? We're considering a change from
> Groupwise and were looking at all of our options.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill Griscom
>
> Director of Information Services
> Lancaster Country Day School
> 725 Hamilton Road
> Lancaster, PA 17603-2491
> 717.392.2916 x. 246
> griscomb@lancastercountryday.org

> This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using
> Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's
> Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

Kerio Mail server

Just wondering if anyone was using Kerio mail server. If so, what are your =
thoughts on it? Positives and negatives? We're considering a change from =
Groupwise and were looking at all of our options.

Thanks!

Regards,

Bill Griscom

Director of Information Services
Lancaster Country Day School
725 Hamilton Road
Lancaster, PA 17603-2491
717.392.2916 x. 246
griscomb@lancastercountryday.org

Re: Electronic Devices on campus

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Chad Barnett <cbarnett@linsly.org> wrote:

> I wonder if the old reality of film processing by a third party vs. the new
> reality of self posted digital media is a factor worth considering?

I thought the same thing immediately after I posted the question about
limitations on film cameras. Back in the "old days" you could take pictures
of anything you wanted, but anecdotally you ran the risk of the "film
police" confiscating the film if anything untoward was found on it. So
unless you could develop the film yourself, it just wasn't worth it to risk
losing a whole roll for the sake of a few titillating shots.

And even if the film police didn't confiscate the film, there was also the
possible embarrassment of having one of those one-hour photo places having
their machine develop the film right in the window for all to see. As I
recall, there was a lawsuit about that in Philadelphia about 25 years ago,
where a couple foolishly sent their "honeymoon photos" to one of these
places, and was appalled to find out that not only were the pictures
developed in the window, in full view of any passersby, but that the
photoshop staff kept a notebook of "interesting pictures," to which they
added a few choice shots from the honeymoon collection.

Being able to process your own digital pictures has freed us from a lot of
the constraints that would normally have prevented us from taking
compromising pictures of someone else.

True, you could take compromising photos with an old Polaroid and not have
to deal with needing a third party to develop them, but then there's the
problem of making copies.

Add to this the ease with which you can post a copy of the digital picture
to millions of people on the Internet for "free" as opposed to how much it
would cost to make prints and send them by USPS to even 10 friends, and
there is a difference. However, I believe this difference is in scope and
ability, not in concept. Back then you *couldn't* do what you shouldn't do,
now you *can* do what you shouldn't, and we need to stress why you shouldn't
even though you can.

--
keg

Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach people.

Re: Electronic Devices on campus

I wonder if the old reality of film processing by a third party vs.
the new reality of self posted digital media is a factor worth
considering?

Chad Barnett
The Linsly School

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 26, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Keith E Gatling <kgatling@MPH.NET> wrote:

> Hmm...have you ever prohibited them from bringing good old-fashioned
> *film*
> cameras to school? I seem to recall that back in the 20th century,
> they were
> quite ubiquitous on class trips and for special events. I'm not sure
> I see
> what the difference is, except that it doesn't cost the kid anything
> "process the film" and give copies to her friends.
>
> --
> keg
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * *
> Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
> Manlius Pebble Hill School
> 5300 Jamesville Rd
> DeWitt, NY 13214
> 315.446.2452
> http://www.gatling.us/keith
>
> Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach people.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * *

Re: school mailing

We assigned families without email the address of xxxx@srsmn.org and
then made the xxxx account have an auto-responder that replied with
the subject "we are missing an email" the body of the email had the
kids sorted by grade. The teachers then were given printed copies with
the student's last name.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 25, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Keith E Gatling <kgatling@MPH.NET> wrote:

> What do you do about the odd family that doesn't have any email or
> Internet
> at home? We have quite a few of those?
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Michele Ament <mament@shadysideacademy.org
> >
> wrote:
>
>> Jim - At our senior school, we use e-mail for most mailings (monthly
>> head's letter, news announcements, newsletter, etc.) The only
>> things to
>> are sent by mail are grades, and really important letters (ie,
>> announcing the resignation of our president). THis has cut back on
>> paper tremendously. Hope this helps.
>> MMA
>

> --
> keg
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * *
> Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
> Manlius Pebble Hill School
> 5300 Jamesville Rd
> DeWitt, NY 13214
> 315.446.2452
> http://www.gatling.us/keith
>
> Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach students.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * *

Re: Electronic Devices on campus

Thank you for your note. I am away from school and will have sporadic
email access as I am enjoying the first couple of weeks with my newborn
son, Logan.

Should you have a question or concern that needs immediate attention,
please contact either Amanda Macomber at amacomber@saes.org or Yvette
Wallace at ywallace@saes.org.

I look forward to getting back with you when I am able.

Best-

Mark

Friday, June 27, 2008

Suggestions and ideas

=EF=BB=BFHi all,

I just moved the June newsletter out for public access -

http://www.imparisystems.com/index.php?option=3Dcom_content&task=3Dview&id=
=3D31

where I just finished up a series on free and open source business
intelligence and data warehousing tools.

I was wondering what's currently important at schools - what's the
biggest issue? Should I compare different Learning Content Management
Software packages like Moodle vs. Claroline or would you be more
interested in eportfolio solutions? Are people looking for computer lab
monitoring software or just driving down the cost per PC?

Would it be helpful to do a series on how a Customer Relationship
Management software package could help independent schools do
recruiting, track current students and follow alumni as well as help
with fund raising?

Thanks!

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
=EF=BB=BF401 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com
www.imparisystems.com
(301) 644-3911

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Re: school mailing

I am out of my office attending a conference until 3 July. Please direct queries to Kristin ICTS
Service Desk on 415-9566 ext 2414 or on eKristin by emailing Help (help@kristin.school.nz) or
please speak with Jason MacDonald, Director of ICTS.

Re: school mailing

I believe it is important to have a specific day to send things home or have email updates/blasts, there is a big downside to emailing and going paperless. While it is definitely more efficient, does it not take the student from having to be responsible/accountable for permission slips and bringing items home? Believe me, I have struggled as a teacher, dean, and division head with efficiency and paperless vs. accountability, but in the end I am willing to use more paper and explain to the parents the accountability/responsibility philosophy. I believe these lessons benfits the students more and emailing permission slips and other important information home to the parents takes the student out of the equation of their education.

Mike Jenkins
Director of MS Studies
Battle Ground Academy
Franklin, Tennessee
---- thinksnow11 <thinksnow11@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our school has slowly moved to group emails and email blasts to
> parents. The parents love it and I imagine it will increase this
> year.. This did coincide with still some paper material but we have
> greatly reduced the amount of paper going home, except important
> student work.
>
> Lisa Douthit
> Technology Resources & Locus Systems Admin
> Notre Dame de Sion
> Kansas City, Missouri
>

> On Jun 25, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Eagen, James wrote:
>
> > I have a question to you all about school mailings. I am at a PK - 12
> > school right now that mails often and on no schedule, which produces a
> > lot of paper and also can hit parents with many pieces of mail a week.
> > My last school had a monthly mailing to make things more orderly. What
> > are your thoughts on school mailings? Is there a system that works
> > well?
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > James Eagen
> >
> > Head of Middle School
> >
> > Manlius Pebble Hill School
> >
> > 5300 Jamesville Rd.
> >
> > Dewitt, NY 13214
> >
> > 315 446 2452 x162
> >
> > mphinthemiddle.blogspot.com
> >

> > [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
> > Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
> > attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> > RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>
> thinksnow11
> thinksnow11@gmail.com

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Electronic Devices on campus

Hmm...have you ever prohibited them from bringing good old-fashioned *film*
cameras to school? I seem to recall that back in the 20th century, they were
quite ubiquitous on class trips and for special events. I'm not sure I see
what the difference is, except that it doesn't cost the kid anything to
"process the film" and give copies to her friends.

--
keg

Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach people.

Re: Electronic Devices on campus

This is a huge topic, that I am very interested in. Very hard to
control, but also in my mind a possible time bomb, if questionable
pictures are taken within the school or at a school event. I have
mulled this over in my head, but with such compact devices, it is hard
to even see most digital equipment that students carry.

On Jun 26, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Larry Kligman wrote:

> For Middle Schools . . . .
>
> What is your policy regarding pictures/videos taken by students on
> campus
> and at school events?
>
> Do you prohibit either camera phones vs. digital cameras?
>

> Thanks, Larry
>

> Larry Kligman ('85), Middle School Director
> Abraham Joshua Heschel Day School
> 17701 Devonshire Street
> Northridge, CA 91325
> www.heschel.com
> main: 818.368.5781 x505
> fax: 818.360.6162
> Larry_Kligman@ajhds.com
>
> Tradition ~ Character ~ Community

thinksnow11
thinksnow11@gmail.com

Re: school mailing

Our school has slowly moved to group emails and email blasts to
parents. The parents love it and I imagine it will increase this
year.. This did coincide with still some paper material but we have
greatly reduced the amount of paper going home, except important
student work.

Lisa Douthit
Technology Resources & Locus Systems Admin
Notre Dame de Sion
Kansas City, Missouri

On Jun 25, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Eagen, James wrote:

> I have a question to you all about school mailings. I am at a PK - 12
> school right now that mails often and on no schedule, which produces a
> lot of paper and also can hit parents with many pieces of mail a week.
> My last school had a monthly mailing to make things more orderly. What
> are your thoughts on school mailings? Is there a system that works
> well?
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>
> James Eagen
>
> Head of Middle School
>
> Manlius Pebble Hill School
>
> 5300 Jamesville Rd.
>
> Dewitt, NY 13214
>
> 315 446 2452 x162
>
> mphinthemiddle.blogspot.com

thinksnow11
thinksnow11@gmail.com

Electronic Devices on campus

For Middle Schools . . . .

What is your policy regarding pictures/videos taken by students on campus
and at school events?

Do you prohibit either camera phones vs. digital cameras?

Thanks, Larry

Larry Kligman ('85), Middle School Director
Abraham Joshua Heschel Day School
17701 Devonshire Street
Northridge, CA 91325
www.heschel.com
main: 818.368.5781 x505
fax: 818.360.6162
Larry_Kligman@ajhds.com

Tradition ~ Character ~ Community

Re: school mailing

The only thing we mail out to parents are report cards twice a year. =
All other correspondence is either emailed (headmaster bulletin, =
classroom notes, etc.) or posted on the school website (handbook, =
homework, etc.). Even our registration is all done electronically.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

I have a question to you all about school mailings. I am at a PK - 12
school right now that mails often and on no schedule, which produces a
lot of paper and also can hit parents with many pieces of mail a week.
My last school had a monthly mailing to make things more orderly. What
are your thoughts on school mailings? Is there a system that works well?
Thoughts?
=20
Thanks
=20
Jim=20

James Eagen

Head of Middle School

Manlius Pebble Hill School=20

5300 Jamesville Rd.

Dewitt, NY 13214

315 446 2452 x162

mphinthemiddle.blogspot.com

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

New Cisco 1841 Integrated Services Router - for sale

I purchased the router at the end of January ... and then we changed T1
supplier/Telephone supplier and they installed their own. This has never
been used - and I've been too busy to deal with until now;)

It is new in box - cost $1039.95 will accept $800 shipped to you.

Thanks

John

John Moore
Director of Technology, Sheridan School, Washington, DC

Tel 202 362 7900
www.sheridanschool.org

'Be the change you want to see in the world.' --Mahatma Gandhi

Re: school mailing

We also email almost everything, using PDF's for forms, permission
slips, etc. I do an early mailing duplicate to test the emails, we have
students make corrections on the first day, and parents do a check at
back to school night. Bouncebacks are handled with a phone call. I
have an address book for each grade level and one for parents only.
Report cards are mailed home quarterly.

Dave

--
======================
David E. Mullen

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Re: imaging WinXP default user profile settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887816

---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager
The Key School, Annapolis Maryland

I am not sure how exactly KBox works; we use Symantec Ghost here for all
re-imaging needs.

We found that copying local admin or any other user profile over default
user profile is more harmful than helpful. It tends to break default
paths and settings for MS Office and other applications.

We use registry injection hack, instead. We modify the settings as we'd
like for a local administrator account, then export the registry keys
involved, inject it into the default user ntuser.dat registry database
after editing paths in notepad appropriately.

Takes a bit more effort but seemed to work fine for us. That way we only
modify exactly what we need instead of wiping out and replacing entire
default profile.

We run sysprep and ghost at the end and settings stay the way we want.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to get into the
details.

Thank you,

Dmitry Manakhov
Cary Academy
Director of Information Services
(919) 228-4663 (desk)
(919) 649-6910 (cell)

[...]

Franklin, TN=20

615-567-9022

demetrio@battlegroundacademy.org

Re: imaging WinXP default user profile settings

Demetri,

What worked for me was to delete the local administrator account
and logon again as the local administrator so that it gets the default
profile. Can't remember where I found the article. Lots of different
"fixes", but that is the one that worked for me.

Thanks,
Bruce Montgomery
Lakeview Academy
[...]

Convert it to email and make a schedule of regular email postings. You
may also want to exploit your web site for sharing information.

Mary Ellen Williams
Director of Finance and Operations
Graland Country Day School
30 Birch Street
Denver, CO 80220
(303) 336-3711

--
keg

Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach students.

Re: school mailing

Jim - At our senior school, we use e-mail for most mailings (monthly
head's letter, news announcements, newsletter, etc.) The only things to
are sent by mail are grades, and really important letters (ie,
announcing the resignation of our president). THis has cut back on
paper tremendously. Hope this helps.
MMA

Michele M. Ament
Mathematics Teacher
Shady Side Academy
423 Fox Chapel Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238

Phone: (412) 968-3150

>>> "Eagen, James" <jeagen@mph.net> 06/25/08 10:03 AM >>>
I have a question to you all about school mailings. I am at a PK - 12
school right now that mails often and on no schedule, which produces a
lot of paper and also can hit parents with many pieces of mail a week.
My last school had a monthly mailing to make things more orderly. What
are your thoughts on school mailings? Is there a system that works well?
Thoughts?

Thanks

Jim

James Eagen

Head of Middle School

Manlius Pebble Hill School

5300 Jamesville Rd.

Dewitt, NY 13214

315 446 2452 x162

mphinthemiddle.blogspot.com

Email retention policy

Hello,

I'm trying to craft an email retention (or disposal) policy for our =
school. My concern is what to do with the things people have stored in =
their mail boxes that they are keeping for reference or to "get back to =
later". =20

Please could you tell me what your doing?

Thank you,
=20
Sister Elizabeth
Powhatan School

school mailing

I have a question to you all about school mailings. I am at a PK - 12
school right now that mails often and on no schedule, which produces a
lot of paper and also can hit parents with many pieces of mail a week.
My last school had a monthly mailing to make things more orderly. What
are your thoughts on school mailings? Is there a system that works well?
Thoughts?
=20
Thanks
=20
Jim=20

James Eagen

Head of Middle School

Manlius Pebble Hill School=20

5300 Jamesville Rd.

Dewitt, NY 13214

315 446 2452 x162

mphinthemiddle.blogspot.com

[Net-Gold] Online Encyclopaedia: The Wisdom of Crowds

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 02:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Soundara Rajan <soundarns@yahoo.com>
To: David Dillard <net-gold@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Net-Gold] Online encyclopaedia: The wisdom of crowds

Online encyclopaedia: The wisdom of crowds

By Jimmy Wales

As online communities spread across the world, Wikipedias
knowledge-sharing can free us from poverty and ignorance.

The world is rich with languages and cultures, and because of this, some
contemporary thinkers doubt the possibility of any genuine collaboration
in pursuit of truth. Humans are portrayed as irrational captives to their
background and identity, unable to be objective. I do not share this view.

If we were to take seriously the ideas of those who view all human
activity through a lens of irrationalism and conflict, we would imagine
that all of this would be impossible. But my experiences have given me
great optimism optimism grounded in direct observation of the facts of
reality that the vast majority of people around the world are comfortable
with the idea of working hard to present facts objectively.

I advocate for the value of a universal encyclopedia which is accessible
to everyone and which rationally puts forward the basic facts about
various arguments and controversies in such a manner that newcomers to an
issue can understand what the disagreement is about. Don't tell me what to
think, don't feed me one side of the story; give me actual facts and I
will think for myself to decide. And I respect you as a human being enough
to return the favour.

You can read the entire article by Jimmy Wales, Founder of Wikipedia,

carried by 'The Guardian', at

<http://deccanherald.com/Content/Jun252008/editpage2008062475138.asp>

_______________________________________

N.S. Soundara Rajan, Mysore, India

Eutilities, CyberStop, Enews, WebWatch
http://www.deccanherald.com

Internet Resource Discussion Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold

MYSOORU LITERACY TRUST (MLT)
Promoting literacy among the poor

Each individual has the responsibility and the creative acumen
to take control of his/her society - Noam Chomsky

Also just posted by Soundara Rajan

TECHNOLOGY: Real-time info on mobiles
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/24051>

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Re: NECC

I'm attending for the first time. Admittedly, it is a bit overwhelming =
choosing sessions...there are so many that look fantastic. I'm looking =
for sessions that will invigorate my prek-6 technology curriculum as =
well as information to enhance staff development and curriculum =
integration into the classroom.

I'm not blogging, but am a member of the ning that has been mentioned. =
If only we could wear big ISED labels, then we'd be able to recognize =
each other. :-) I'll keep my eye out for familiar names on those lovely =
conference name tags.

~Jayme

Jayme Johnson
Director of Academic Technology