Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Re: Emergency Contact Systems for Parents

Tom:

Wow! Thank you for the information. The fact that School Messenger ASP
Plus integrates well with your database is nice. Wonder if it is
limited to just Senior Systems or not. I agree that we don't want
parents to have to log in to another system to keep their information
up-to-date. Presently they login to our website to update their data.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Tom Jordan wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Elmwood Franklin is using School Messenger ASP Plus.
>
> Support has been terrific. They worked with us to set up the automatic
> nightly update which connects with our Senior Systems database and it
> works perfectly. Any name, phone or email address changes entered into
> Senior Systems today, will be updated into the School Messenger program
> tonight. We feel that makes the alert system as up to date as possible and
> doesn't involve any additional work by a member of our school staff.
> Parents let us know when there's a change in phone number or email address
> and that change is made by one person in Senior Systems and the change of
> information is carried over automatically to School Messenger.
>
> We've done some testing with the entire school list and are pleased with
> the speed at which the calls are made and emails are sent out. Reports are
> detailed.
>
> As I write this, our Head is sending out an email to our parents regarding
> MRSA. He thought sending this information via email would be timely and a
> good use for our new School Messenger system. Families without email
> addresses in our system will be mailed the same information.
>
> We also carefully looked at Instant Alert and National Notification
> Network (3N) and decided that School Messenger provides us with all of the
> features we really need. We felt that is is important for the school to
> have control over the numbers and addresses rather than having parents log
> in to the system and have the control. That could be a good feature for
> some schools but Elmwood Franklin is able to manage the phone numbers and
> email addresses in-house using our existing SIS with no additional effort.
> We know that there is current, accurate contact information in our alert
> system and don't have to rely on parents to take the initiative to make
> changes.
>
> So far School Messenger is doing all that they said they would do and very
> pleasantly.
>
> Tom Jordan
> Director of Technology
> Elmwood Franklin School
> 104 New Amsterdam Ave.
> Buffalo, NY 14216
>
> tjordan@elmwoodfranklin.org
>
> 716-877-5035 ext 120

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Projector question

Not a magic button but these things have small batteries that hold the
memory in them. Open it up take out the battery wait for 10 minuets or
so and it will forget everything it ever knew and go back to the
factory default.

Greg
On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Carl Campion wrote:

> For the second time in two weeks I have replaced the lamp in an
> InFocus LP640(cousin of the ASKProxima C180) only to have the lamp
> not strike. Tech support concluded (after trying some lamp counter
> reset button pushes) that the unit needs service. It is 6 months
> past the three year warranty . At a minimum it would cost $390
> which we are not going to do. Two questions:
>
> (1) Has anyone else suffered this same lamp goes/projector goes
> issue ? I spoke to the tech folks at the AV company we use and they
> told me of a power supply issue.
>
> (2) I wonder if there is a magic button push combination that resets
> the power management ? Yes, wishful thinking.
>
> BTW: I am replacing the InFocus/ASK Proxima units with Sanyo XU87 &
> XU84 projectors.
>
> thanks
>
> Carl Campion
> Director of Academic Technology
> Archmere Academy
> 302-798-6632x823

Projector question

[...]

Re: Vacant campuses

Almost everyone seems to agree that that the Northfield campus is the
please to go. I have put the people that are interested in such in
contact with NMH.

Greg
On Oct 31, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Ari M. Betof wrote:

> [...]

addresses in our system will be mailed the same information.

We also carefully looked at Instant Alert and National Notification
Network (3N) and decided that School Messenger provides us with all of the
features we really need. We felt that is is important for the school to
have control over the numbers and addresses rather than having parents log
in to the system and have the control. That could be a good feature for
some schools but Elmwood Franklin is able to manage the phone numbers and
email addresses in-house using our existing SIS with no additional effort.
We know that there is current, accurate contact information in our alert
system and don't have to rely on parents to take the initiative to make
changes.

So far School Messenger is doing all that they said they would do and very

Vacant campuses

There is campus on Spring Hill Rd in Ashby MA.(A former farm) It has been
Ashby Academy and prior to that The Shackleton School.

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
> [...]
>Southern Virginia University but on a secondary level.
>
>Many LDS families in the northeast would like to have such a school as
>they often find that their child is the only LDS student in school and
>it is hard for them to maintain religious education in such a setting.
>
>Such students are not well served in traditional "Christian" schools
>due to the hostile reception their religion receives at many of these
>schools and the fact that the LDS reject such notions as creationism
>as part of a formal science curriculum for example.
>
>Traditional preparatory schools, such as what I went to Oak Grove-
>Coburn 1976, work but again the students often find themselves the
>only Latter-day Saint in school and religious instruction can be
>difficult in such a setting.
>
>It is felt there there may be an opening for a school that while
>reenforcing the values that the LDS faith promotes does not rejecting
>traditional academic disciplines replacing them with religious dogma.
>Such approach is common in evangelical christian schools and is not
>part of the traditional LDS approach to education.
>
>It is felt that an LDS school might find a market even with some non-
>LDS students. Religious instruction both LDS and non-sectarian would
>be given but separate from the traditional academic disciplines.
>Similar to the way BYU and SVU keep their religion departments at arms
>length from the other academic areas.
>
>Hence the need for a campus with boarding facilities as it is expected
>to draw students from a wide region which need not be near a urban
>center.
>
>Greg
>On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:12 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
>
>> Christopher Taylor
>>
>>> I have been asked by a group to help them look into vacant campuses
>>> that might be acquired for a private school. It could be a school or
>>> college campus that has closed for example.
>>>
>>> Ideally the campus would be someplace in New England, have some
>>> boarding capacity. It needs not be near a major urban center.
>>>
>>> Should anyone know of such a facility please let me know so I can
>>> pass
>>> the information along.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
>>> attribution,
>>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>>
>> Greg,
>> I think the Northfield campus in Northfield, MA is still for sale. It
>> originally was a girl's boarding school and then merged with Mount
>> Hermon.
>> Chris
>>
>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
>> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,

From what I remember the number of people that can be on that property was
limited due to issues with the septic system. It's a beautiful property and
has some nice buildings on it. It's much smaller than Northfield.

On 10/31/07, A forum for independent school educators <
ISED-L@listserv.syr.edu> wrote:

> There is campus on Spring Hill Rd in Ashby MA.(A former farm) It has been
> Ashby Academy and prior to that The Shackleton School.
>

> A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
> >Northfield looks like the right kind of campus. It also has the
> >advantage of a nearby existing school. I have forward all of these
> >suggestions along and welcome others as well. I but the messenger here
> >offering my help.
> >
> >The idea is for a private secondary school based on the principles of
> >the LDS (Mormon) Church but not a formal church school. Similar to
> >Southern Virginia University but on a secondary level.
> >
> >Many LDS families in the northeast would like to have such a school as
> >they often find that their child is the only LDS student in school and
> >it is hard for them to maintain religious education in such a setting.
> >
> >Such students are not well served in traditional "Christian" schools
> >due to the hostile reception their religion receives at many of these
> >schools and the fact that the LDS reject such notions as creationism
> >as part of a formal science curriculum for example.
> >
> >Traditional preparatory schools, such as what I went to Oak Grove-
> >Coburn 1976, work but again the students often find themselves the
> >only Latter-day Saint in school and religious instruction can be
> >difficult in such a setting.
> >
> >It is felt there there may be an opening for a school that while
> >reenforcing the values that the LDS faith promotes does not rejecting
> >traditional academic disciplines replacing them with religious dogma.
> >Such approach is common in evangelical christian schools and is not
> >part of the traditional LDS approach to education.
> >
> >It is felt that an LDS school might find a market even with some non-
> >LDS students. Religious instruction both LDS and non-sectarian would
> >be given but separate from the traditional academic disciplines.
> >Similar to the way BYU and SVU keep their religion departments at arms
> >length from the other academic areas.
> >
> >Hence the need for a campus with boarding facilities as it is expected
> >to draw students from a wide region which need not be near a urban
> >center.
> >
> >Greg
> >On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:12 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
> >
> >> Christopher Taylor

Re: Headmasters Who Maintain Blogs

arvind and I interviewed Tim for our show last year. Here's the link:

http://www.edtechtalk.com/21st_Century_Learning_42

If no one has mentioned him, Chris Lehmann should be on the list as well: http://www.practicaltheory.org.

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Tim Lauer should also be included on this list -- he
>is one of the original educational bloggers out there,
>and, as the principal of a very successful elementary
>school, has been providing a model of how to use a
>blog as a central part of a school's community for
>years --
>
>His personal site is at http://tim.lauer.name/ and his
>school site is at http://lewiselementary.org/
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bill
>
>--- Prep NY <prepny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I was wondering if anyone is aware of
>> headmasters (male or female) who
>> blog on a regular basis? Does anyone use blogs as a
>> means of addressing
>> issues to students, faculty or alumni?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Administrator
>> target="_blank">PrepNY.com</a>
>> Sophisticated Networking
>> info@prepny.com
>>
>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative
>> commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike
>> license.

>http://mail.yahoo.com

>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Alex Ragone
Director of Technology
Collegiate School
New York, NY

Re: Vacant campuses

> [...]

>> I have been asked by a group to help them look into vacant campuses
>> that might be acquired for a private school. It could be a school or
>> college campus that has closed for example.
>>
>> Ideally the campus would be someplace in New England, have some
>> boarding capacity. It needs not be near a major urban center.
>>
>> Should anyone know of such a facility please let me know so I can
>> pass
>> the information along.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
>> attribution,
>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>
> Greg,
> I think the Northfield campus in Northfield, MA is still for sale. It
> originally was a girl's boarding school and then merged with Mount

Re: Vacant campuses

Christopher Taylor

> I have been asked by a group to help them look into vacant campuses
> that might be acquired for a private school. It could be a school or
> college campus that has closed for example.
>
> Ideally the campus would be someplace in New England, have some
> boarding capacity. It needs not be near a major urban center.
>
> Should anyone know of such a facility please let me know so I can pass
> the information along.
>
> Greg

Greg,
I think the Northfield campus in Northfield, MA is still for sale. It
originally was a girl's boarding school and then merged with Mount Hermon.
Chris

Re: 6th Grade Admissions Process

Hi All,

We have all our 6th grade applicants visit the 5th grade.

Kim Scott
Director of Admissions
Grades 3-8
Georgetown Day School
4530 MacArthur Boulevard, NW
Washington, DC 20007
202-295-1098

kscott@gds.org

Re: Emergency Contact Systems for Parents (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

There are a number of Free OSS options for the email piece. We were
looking at PHPList and Mailman, but there are many others. There are
also free services like schoolsout.com that do email (free) and sms
(cost to parent).

For the phone piece I am not aware of any that would be suitable for
emergencies. In theory you want the emergency system to broadcast
quickly and not be physically located on or near your campus. So you
probably want a service that is directly tied into communications
infrastructure and capable of making hundreds of concurrent calls a
minute. We figured for 150 students we would still need to make 750
calls in an emergency (2 cell phones, 2 office numbers, one home phone).

For non-emergency there are a number of auto-dialer systems including
free versions and plug-in for Asterix VOIP systems. These systems will
make calls one-by-one until finished with the call list so it may take a
few hours depending on how many lines/modems you have to devote to it.=20

_Jason
___________________________________

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net
jason.p.johnson2@us.army.mil=20
Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Re: Emergency Contact Systems for Parents

Does anyone know of possibly an open source program that might do a
similar notification? We did not plan on needing one for this school
year but as I am doing more research, I believe this is an important
tool to have even during our practice drills.

Thanks!
Lisa

---
Lisa Sjogren
Director of Technology
lisa.sjogren@srsmn.org

763-504-9450, ext. 311

Visit Us Online: http://www.srsmn.org
My Blog: http://www.srsmn.org/lisasjogren/wordpress

On Oct 30, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Antonio Viva wrote:

> We just signed on with AlertNow and ran a test of the system last
> night to
> inform families of a Headmaster's Holiday. The system worked
> flawlessly!
>
> Antonio Viva
> Associate Head of School
> Worcester Academy
> 81 Providence Street, Worcester, MA 01604
> Phone - 508.754.5302 ext.196
> Web - www.worcesteracademy.org
> Email - antonio.viva@worcesteracademy.org
> Blog - www.antonioviva.com

Question about Williamsburg Virtual Field trips

Hi
I am curious if anyone on the list has done any of the Williamsburg
Virtual Field trips and what you think about them. One of my 5/6
teachers has been researching this but without having knowledge about
them, we didn't want to go forward with doing one.

Thanks

Paula Hunter
Director
San Carlos Charter Learning Center
www.scclc.net
(650) 508-7343
(650) 508-7341 Fax

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for
curiosity." Dorothy Parker

Re: Apple Workgroup manager

Elizabeth,

In WGM you can create computer lists . There is a feature that will
search for the workstations that you can then add to the group. I
have had to manually add addresses and names for some computers that
for whatever reason don't show up on the list.

Does each computer have a unique name ?

Carl Campion
Archmere Academy
302-798-6632x823

On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Elizabeth Cohen wrote:

> All of my previous experience has been with the wonderful world of
> Windows. Can someone help with Apple's workgroup manager? We
> imaged all of our laptops through an ethernet connection.
> Therefore the ethernet ID in workgroup manager is the ethernet mac
> address. In order to manage these laptops in a wireless
> environment, do I need to move the wireless mac address from Server
> Administrator to workgroup manager? Can you put the wireless mac
> address in the ethernet ID box? Has anyone had success with this?
> Is there any other way to manage Apple laptops in a wireless
> environment? I am not particularly interested in Remote Desktop,
> it is too cumbersome and I don' t have the time or inclination to
> view 188 laptops, i just want to enact some management techniques.
> Thank you for any advise.
> Elizabeth
>
> Elizabeth Cohen
> Director of Technology
> Atlanta Girls' School
> 3254 Northside Parkway NW
> Atlanta, Georgia 30327
> 404- 604-2808

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Vacant campuses

Greg,
Northfield Mt. Hermon School consolidated onto the Mt. Hermon campus two
years ago, after operating two fully-functional campuses since the
Northfield School for Girls merged with the Mt. Hermon School in 1971. I
believe that the Northfield campus is vacant. It has some wonderful
facilities and is located in a beautiful part of central Massachusetts. (I
graduated from NMH in 1972 and spent two years on the Northfield campus
before moving to Mt. Hermon my senior year)). For more information, check
out this website: http://northfield.wwco.com/
Milly Rawlings

Mildred S. Rawlings
Director, Hedges Library
Baylor School
P.O. Box 1337
Chattanooga, TN 37401
(423) 267-8505, ext. 209
milly_rawlings@baylorschool.org

Re: Vacant campuses

As far as I know the Northfield School campus in E. Northfield, MA is still available. It meets the criteria you mention and the setting is gorgeous. (As you might know, the entire Northfield Mt. Hermon school is now on the campus that used to be Mt. Hermon.)

Joanna

> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:13:20 -0600
> From: kearney@tribcsp.com
> Subject: Vacant campuses
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>
> I have been asked by a group to help them look into vacant campuses
> that might be acquired for a private school. It could be a school or
> college campus that has closed for example.
>
> Ideally the campus would be someplace in New England, have some
> boarding capacity. It needs not be near a major urban center.
>
> Should anyone know of such a facility please let me know so I can pass
> the information along.
>
> Greg

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Explore the seven wonders of the world

Re: 6th Grade Admissions Process

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 1:11 PM -0500 wrote:
>We have them visit in 6th grade so they can get a taste of the middle
>school
>and so those teachers can see how they will fit in.

Hi!

When I was at Pine Cobble School, that's exactly what we did, for exactly
those reasons.

At my current school (7-12), we might have a prospective 8th grader visit
the 7th grade only if she applies near the end of the year, the idea being
that at that point in time it would be more valuable to her to meet her
future classmates rather than see the exact courses she would be taking if
she enrolls. I could see that applying in your case as well.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School

Vacant campuses

I have been asked by a group to help them look into vacant campuses
that might be acquired for a private school. It could be a school or
college campus that has closed for example.

Ideally the campus would be someplace in New England, have some
boarding capacity. It needs not be near a major urban center.

Should anyone know of such a facility please let me know so I can pass
the information along.

Greg

Re: 6th Grade Admissions Process

Hi Tracey:
Our applicants for sixth grade visit with the sixth grade in the middle
school, so that the middle school faculty may evaluate the candidates. Once
a student is accepted, they have the opportunity to visit with our fifth
grade for a day.

Sandy

Sandra Cordes-Vaughan,
Middle School Division Leader
Humanities Instructor
The Sage School
171 Mechanic Street
Foxboro, MA 02035
P: 508-543-9619, Ext. 319
E: scordes-vaughan@sageschool.org

The Sage School is a private independent school dedicated to providing an
educational program that serves the needs of academically gifted girls and
boys ages 4 to 14 in the greater Boston and Providence areas. Visit us
online at www.sageschool.org.

Where gifted children grow.

Re: Emergency Contact Systems for Parents

We just signed on with AlertNow and ran a test of the system last night to
inform families of a Headmaster's Holiday. The system worked flawlessly!

Antonio Viva
Associate Head of School
Worcester Academy
81 Providence Street, Worcester, MA 01604
Phone - 508.754.5302 ext.196
Web - www.worcesteracademy.org

Email - antonio.viva@worcesteracademy.org
Blog - www.antonioviva.com

Re: 6th Grade Admissions Process

At Manlius Pebble Hill we have the student visit in the grade they are
currently enrolled in. We look for socialization and participation in
classes and feel the best evaluation is within the student population
they hope to join. We always run a two day visit which alleviates the
anxiety of the first day with the second day visit.

Andrea=20

Andrea Danial, Head of Lower School
Manlius Pebble Hill School
Syracuse, NY
adanial@mph.net

Monday, October 29, 2007

Re: Headmasters Who Maintain Blogs

See https://www.hyde.edu/podium/default.aspx?t=40561, Malcolm Gauld's
blog from the Hyde Schools.

On 10/29/07, Prep NY <prepny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone is aware of headmasters (male or female) who
> blog on a regular basis? Does anyone use blogs as a means of addressing
> issues to students, faculty or alumni?

--
"Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis."
~~ Nicholas Borbonius

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
~~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Re: Headmasters Who Maintain Blogs

While this isn't a head of school blog, it is an excellent sample of an =
effective use of a blog for school to home communications...and parents =
can subscribe to this blog and receive automatic updates in their =
reader.

Fantastic sample:

http://musowls.blogs.com/lowerschool/

I would like to extend this inquiry to include any samples from division =
heads/school principals.

Matt Montagne
University School of Milwaukee

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is aware of headmasters (male or female) =
who
blog on a regular basis? Does anyone use blogs as a means of addressing
issues to students, faculty or alumni?

Thanks!

--=20

Administrator
Sophisticated Networking
info@prepny.com

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =

Re: Headmasters Who Maintain Blogs

Our principal maintains a blog, which, she shares her thoughts about
various topics.... you can view it:

http://www.srsmn.org/dorothybialke/wordpress

This has helped tremendously in encouraging our teachers to blog as
well.
---

My Blog: http://lisasjogren.srsmn.org

On Oct 29, 2007, at 10:12 PM, Prep NY wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone is aware of headmasters (male or
> female) who
> blog on a regular basis? Does anyone use blogs as a means of
> addressing
> issues to students, faculty or alumni?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Administrator
> Sophisticated Networking
> info@prepny.com

Re: Headmasters Who Maintain Blogs

Please keep this thread public.

Thanks!

On 10/29/07, Prep NY <prepny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone is aware of headmasters (male or female) who
> blog on a regular basis? Does anyone use blogs as a means of addressing
> issues to students, faculty or alumni?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Administrator
> Sophisticated Networking
> info@prepny.com

Michelle S. Ohnstad, MLIS
michelle.ohnstad@gmail.com

Library Media Specialist (1/2 time)
7th Grade Service Learning Coordinator
Pacific Ridge School
Carlsbad, CA
Web:

http://www.pacificridge.org

Head Librarian (1/2 time)
La Jolla Country Day School
La Jolla, CA
Web: http://www.ljcds.org

Wiki: http://www.independentschoollibraries.wikispaces.com
Blog: http://indy-school-librarian.blogspot.com/
SLA-SD Chapter Bulletin and Blog Co-Editor

Headmasters Who Maintain Blogs

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is aware of headmasters (male or female) who
blog on a regular basis? Does anyone use blogs as a means of addressing
issues to students, faculty or alumni?

Thanks!

--

Administrator
Sophisticated Networking
info@prepny.com

Re: Email questions

While this is far beyond my expertise, I suspect you could sort out
many of the issues were you to post this to the MACENTERPRISE
Listserv located at http://lists.psu.edu/archives/macenterprise.html

HTH

Regards,

Carl Feucht
Indianhead International School
Seoul, South Korea

On Oct 27, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Carl Campion wrote:

> Hello lists,
>
> I've posted on this topic before and thought I'd inquire one more
> time before I give up and take another path.
>
> We've had mixed results using the Apple Mail program with the
> school's Exchange Server. There are so many inconsistencies that
> baffle me to no end. For example:
>
> 1) On the G4 in my office it works well. The only hitch is in the
> morning as it loads the Inbox, very slow
>
> 2) On the iBooks with PHD accounts:
>
> On some Books it can be configured using only the name of the
> mail server rather than the full name: mail.school.com
>
> On others it works only when the mail.school.com name is used
>
> Today out of desperation I tried the IP address 10.1.xx.xx and it
> work although there is still the dreaded loading of the inbox which
> is slow. At that point it only quits when force quit is used.
>
> When used in combination with Noteshare it is a great tool for
> mailing lab notebooks.
>

> There also appears to be a location/model issue. We have few issues
> in my Chem lab with MacBooks vs. the Bio lab across the hall with
> G3/G4 iBOOKs. All base stations are set to be bridges, they are not
> handing out addresses. All iBOOKs use static addressing.
>
> Perhaps it is time to throw up the white flag and move to Entourage.
>
> thanks
>
> Carl Campion
> Archmere Academy

Blackbaud

Hello,

We are about to migrate from Giftmaker Pro to Blackbaud and are
considering their online/hosted version of RE. I would love to hear from
anyone who has any experience with their hosted products. If you respond
directly to me (dbaker@mttam.org) I will summaries for the list.

Thanks,=20
Dave

David Baker
Mount Tamalpais School
Dean of Technology
Math Department Chair
http://www.mttam.org/
dbaker@mttam.org

Re: Email questions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

Carl,

Off the top of my head.
1. You may have a DNS issue. If you are using more than one DNS, are
they configured exactly the same/replicating properly. Do you have
separate Mac and PC DNS systems with your macs going to an Apple DNS?
If so, point them to the PC DNS.
2. You may need to enter the user name as domain/username
3. Your pre-Win 2000 user names may not match your actual user names in
Exchange (i.e. may be a user account issue and not actually related to
the server information)
4. Your macs are on a separate class C ,VLAN, or physically separate
network. They are constantly being routed across narrow bandwidth at
the gateway or there is a DNS or routing table problem with
recognizing/routing to the separate IP space. There may also be an
active directory component to this type of problem as well, I just don't
have a reference system to browse and see which setting are the issue.

Alternates
1. Revert to IMAP (The exchange connection under apple is MAPI). This
should be pretty resilient and your not losing much.
2. If your IP is unlikely to change, map it in your host file to take
DNS issues out of the equation but this is hard to maintain. If this
works and your mailboxes load fast, you know the problem is in the
network (DNS, VLAN, AD, etc.)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=3D88158
3. Wait a few months until the new version of Mac Office comes out.
The Entourage 2008 is, by all accounts, greatly improved=20
http://www.macoffice2008.com/#
4. Spend a few hours with TCPDump and grep out the problem.
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1176.html
___________________________________

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ] Submissions to
ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
non-commercial, share-alike license.
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

Suggestions on Parent Communication Systems (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

All,

As the tech savvy member of a school's board I have been tasked with
finding a Parent Communication System and would appreciate any
suggestions. Ideally it would be:
--Hosted since the school does not have the infrastructure to install or
maintain a system.
--Pricing that scales to accommodates a small school (200 students.
150ish families)
--Capable of emergency/non-emergency phone calls and sms with ways for
parents to differentiate between the two.
--Capable of emergency/non-emergency email with multiple lists and
ability to include attachments.
--Parents manage their own data through a web interface and can
subscribe to various lists (e.g. 1st grade list but not After School
list) with school admin approval (or allow room parents to manage the
lists/approval).

In searching the archives I came across the following suggestions from
last year but nothing recent, and none of them fit the precise
requirement. Thus far School Reach seems closest. I would appreciate
any other suggestions. =20

Honeywell Instant Alert=20
Connect-Ed.
Send Word Now=20
Alert Now=20
_Jason
___________________________________

Sunday, October 28, 2007

FW:
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